Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
They definitely do from the normal daytime running light and then to the first turn after auto mode on the light switch it becomes dimmer try it out

I have tried to see if what your saying is accurate ????

I didnt see a dimmer switch for the LED DRL...... ??? I dont mind messing with mine to see if there is a way to override the dimming when the main head lights turn on

But i did notice as well that once the main headlights activate the DRL due dim

·
Registered
76 Posts
They definitely dim when the headlights come on. Having them stay at their daytime levels would be very obnoxious. I'm sure it can be done, but don't. For the sake of other drivers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They definitely dim when the headlights come on. Having them stay at their daytime levels would be very obnoxious. I'm sure it can be done, but don't. For the sake of other drivers.
I already get high beamed all the time because our headlights are pointed up very high from factory, and I’m on backroads half my commute. I’m sure doing this can’t make it any worse for other drivers haha

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They definitely do from the normal daytime running light and then to the first turn after auto mode on the light switch it becomes dimmer try it out

I have tried to see if what your saying is accurate ????

I didnt see a dimmer switch for the LED DRL...... ??? I dont mind messing with mine to see if there is a way to override the dimming when the main head lights turn on

But i did notice as well that once the main headlights activate the DRL due dim
Yeah exactly what you said is what I’m trying to figure out or have someone try to do it. I don’t have any experience wiring so I’m afraid I’d mess them up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I already get high beamed all the time because our headlights are pointed up very high from factory, and I’m on backroads half my commute. I’m sure doing this can’t make it any worse for other drivers haha

Hmm I don't have this issue with mine. They seem like they're aligned correctly. We have an 18 Miata with LED headlights and those are definitely aimed higher than our ES.

The LED running lights don't have a beam pattern and aren't focused so in addition to dazzling other drivers you won't actually get any benefit from it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hmm I don't have this issue with mine. They seem like they're aligned correctly. We have an 18 Miata with LED headlights and those are definitely aimed higher than our ES.

The LED running lights don't have a beam pattern and aren't focused so in addition to dazzling other drivers you won't actually get any benefit from it.
Really? My friend is a tech at Hyundai and says most cars with oem projectors and hids come in to get them adjusted because they are set too high from factory and customers complain they always get flashed while driving at night like me....

I know but I want the look, I know they won’t give any benefit. I think the leds look pretty ugly at night when dimmed. I want to try it out if possible. If it really was too bright and blinding people I wouldn’t leave it like that

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LED day time running lights

No one that has done this yet? I know on the Genesis people mod them and make the drls on all the time. And some companies have plug and play modules but obviously not for this car

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
327 Posts
The headlights might be properly aligned.
Dirt on headlights can/will impair the optical features of the headlamp and cause glare. Incidentally, headlamps which are only slightly soiled cause a stronger glare, and of course the brighter the headlamp, the stronger the glare. For this very reason in the European Union headlight washers are mandatory for any headlight that emit over 2000 lumens. Under the DOT regulations in North America headlamp washers are not mandatory at all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The headlights might be properly aligned.
Dirt on headlights can/will impair the optical features of the headlamp and cause glare. Incidentally, headlamps which are only slightly soiled cause a stronger glare, and of course the brighter the headlamp, the stronger the glare. For this very reason in the European Union headlight washers are mandatory for any headlight that emit over 2000 lumens. Under the DOT regulations in North America headlamp washers are not mandatory at all.
Your comment has nothing to do with what I’m talking about

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your comment has nothing to do with what I’m talking about
It has a lot to do with being flashed while driving at night. If you have HIDs your light output does exceed 2000 lumens. This is a problem with both HID and some LED headlights.
Yes all ES come with hids so I know we’re over 2000 lumens but I’m just talking about the LEDs we have as “fog lights” or whatever their purpose is and if anyone has found a way to keep them from dimming down once it gets dark out. I want them to stay bright all the time

·
Registered
327 Posts
If my memory serves me well, the LED DRL connector has 3 wires coming in (I recall seeing a photo of the connector somewhere on the web). There will be one for the ground, and two positive inputs. You may want to check with a multimeter voltage (DC scale) on the two positive wires and measure the voltage:
a) without headlights on
b) with headlights on.

It is posible that if the headlights signal is eliminated, the DRLs will stay full brightness. Post the results, there might be a built-in varistor or another simple method of providing lower voltage to the DRLs in order to dim them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Here is the photo of the DRL connector and the pinout.
Pin 1: 100% DRL
PIN 2: 70% DRL
PIN 3: Ground

If you cut cut wire to PIN 2, DRL should stay at 100% at all times (in theory), as it will never see the "headlight on" signal. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,855 Posts

If you cut cut wire to PIN 2, DRL should stay at 100% at all times (in theory), as it will never see the "headlight on" signal. Good luck.
Good info. Going to share this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I will try this out soon! Thanks for the good information, I’ve been waiting for this mod

·
Registered
76 Posts
My thoughts on this are, if you're snipping the 70% wire, that they will just completely shut off upon turning the headlights on. The DRL lights have no logic, so these wires will be signals to the light, not logic input. Maybe un-pin the 70% wire from the connector instead of snipping the wire first, and see what it does then? That way its a reversible test.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts