Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have been looking for ways, thoughts and ideas as to what to do to the diffuser on my 17 ES. I have searched the forum high and low and have seen just a few of our members who have added some color to theirs and thought I would reach out and see if I could get everyone to post their pics in one spot..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Added some 7ml vinyl tape to add a splash of color. Think overall it matches the paint pretty close. My thought was I really like the stock diffuser just wanted to draw a little attention to what is already there with out over doing it. I was able to find this color tape in a multi pack at home depot for 7 dollars I believe and each roll is 20ft long. Took 20 minutes. Cleaned with windex and ammonia. Laid the tape and used a heat gun.. Simple mod lmk thoughts or opinions.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I left the diffuser alone. Just blacked out the front and rear Hyundai logos, along with the bottom chrome window trim - all using plastidip.

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport 6MT Electric Blue
65 Posts
Diffuser
View attachment 17808

Front bumper and side mirrors
View attachment 17809

hey man I got inspired by your post and copied you a couple weeks back. however, I did the job pretty quickly and if one looks really close the curve parts on the diffuser are not smooth at all lol. I figure on the road it looks nice until close up. I'm sure I'll redo it better sometime. any tips on how you made that curve look so good?

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey man I got inspired by your post and copied you a couple weeks back. however, I did the job pretty quickly and if one looks really close the curve parts on the diffuser are not smooth at all lol. I figure on the road it looks nice until close up. I'm sure I'll redo it better sometime. any tips on how you made that curve look so good?
Ha! Mine's not real smooth from up close either, but thanks! :D Took me a couple tries. What I've found, though, is that you can slightly stretch the tape to make the curve in one motion instead of in small sections. One of those things that just takes some practice. I've also added a bit more to the front. What do you think?

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey man I got inspired by your post and copied you a couple weeks back...
View attachment 17812
Another quick note. I think you'll have trouble with this front section staying put. On mine, once I had the whole top edge aligned inside the groove, I used a razor blade to cut it to fit entirely inside the indention. Looks a little sharper and should help protect it from wind and washes.

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport 6MT Electric Blue
65 Posts
Another quick note. I think you'll have trouble with this front section staying put. On mine, once I had the whole top edge aligned inside the groove, I used a razor blade to cut it to fit entirely inside the indention. Looks a little sharper and should help protect it from wind and washes.
thank you! at least i have a whole pinstripe roll to work with haha! thanks for the tips

·
Registered
20 Posts

View attachment 17811

View attachment 17812
I had done the red up front a couple weeks ago now and decided to do the rear diffuser after seeing this thread. I was quite pleased with how the front came out. I used a plastic prying tool from a computer repair tool kit to make sure it covered the edges and didn’t have bubbles, then used a razor to trim any excess.

For the rear, I had to go slow, and follow behind the roll of tape very closely around the curves while keeping the roll stretched tight. It was tedious and a bit aggravating to get (close to) perfect but I’m as pleased with the rear as I am the front. Thank you for the inspiration and advice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ha! Mine's not real smooth from up close either, but thanks! :D Took me a couple tries. What I've found, though, is that you can slightly stretch the tape to make the curve in one motion instead of in small sections. One of those things that just takes some practice. I've also added a bit more to the front. What do you think?
View attachment 17813
I feel like if I did the mirrors and bottom defuser on my blue ES, it would look almost douchey. Then I see yours and it looks so good, I almost hate seeing a silver ES without it now. Well done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I feel like if I did the mirrors and bottom defuser on my blue ES, it would look almost douchey. Then I see yours and it looks so good, I almost hate seeing a silver ES without it now. Well done.
That was a real emotional roller coaster. Glad I hung in there! Much thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had done the red up front a couple weeks ago now and decided to do the rear diffuser after seeing this thread. I was quite pleased with how the front came out. I used a plastic prying tool from a computer repair tool kit to make sure it covered the edges and didn’t have bubbles, then used a razor to trim any excess.

For the rear, I had to go slow, and follow behind the roll of tape very closely around the curves while keeping the roll stretched tight. It was tedious and a bit aggravating to get (close to) perfect but I’m as pleased with the rear as I am the front. Thank you for the inspiration and advice.

View attachment 17820 View attachment 17821 View attachment 17822 View attachment 17823
Wow.. Really nice work... Must have something I still haven t acquired... Patience...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts