Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been posting about this over on my facebook group, but thought I would put it here for easy access. Last night I did some research and tried to find out where else Hyundai (and Kia) were using the 6-speed manual that comes with the ES. A little bit of digging after someone mentioned that Bisimoto had an LSD for the 1.8/2.0L N/A cars, I came up with some matching gear ratios and a part number for the 2.0L trans but not much else. I put together a small spreadsheet of the ratios based on official numbers from Hyundai (see attachment below).

A further search this morning pulled up a custom Quaife LSD available for the Veloster Turbo at Pierce Motorsport, so I shot them an email and received this response:

2012-2017 Hyundai Veloster and Turbo Quaife Limited Slip Differential - Pierce Motorsports

Hello there-I believe they will fit---we haven't actually seen the trans apart (and probably wont for a while), but looking at axles and ratios they appear to be the same.

Regards,

Jim Pierce
The price is quite high at $1,699 but I am wondering if we can get several people to commit to a purchase, maybe we can get a group buy discount or something.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Oosh! that's pricey, and we haven't even talked install. If there were a group buy with something more than a 10% discount I would be interested.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked about a group buy discount and Jim said they could probably do something. Apparently they are "quite expensive to modify".

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I've been posting about this over on my facebook group, but thought I would put it here for easy access. Last night I did some research and tried to find out where else Hyundai (and Kia) were using the 6-speed manual that comes with the ES. A little bit of digging after someone mentioned that Bisimoto had an LSD for the 1.8/2.0L N/A cars, I came up with some matching gear ratios and a part number for the 2.0L trans but not much else. I put together a small spreadsheet of the ratios based on official numbers from Hyundai (see attachment below).

A further search this morning pulled up a custom Quaife LSD available for the Veloster Turbo at Pierce Motorsport, so I shot them an email and received this response:

2012-2017 Hyundai Veloster and Turbo Quaife Limited Slip Differential - Pierce Motorsports

The price is quite high at $1,699 but I am wondering if we can get several people to commit to a purchase, maybe we can get a group buy discount or something.
Love that you founds this, but hate the price.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm not afraid of spending a little money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone bought this yet? Do we know for sure that it fits? I'm seriously considering it. I think this makes alot more sense as an upgrade than a bigger turbo on this car (which just exaggerates our traction problems). Makes the car faster in a very functional way without blowing up your motor.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone bought this yet? Do we know for sure that it fits? I'm seriously considering it. I think this makes alot more sense as an upgrade than a bigger turbo on this car (which just exaggerates our traction problems). Makes the car faster in a very functional way without blowing up your motor.
I was 99% in for doing it, then after talking with Josh at KDM Tuners I decided not to. The LSD itself is not actually made for our cars, they have to send them off to a machine shop and have them modified. Hence why it's so expensive. The reason I decided against it was the fact that I was told it's super clunky and noisy. Good for a track toy, not the best idea for a daily driver.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was 99% in for doing it, then after talking with Josh at KDM Tuners I decided not to. The LSD itself is not actually made for our cars, they have to send them off to a machine shop and have them modified. Hence why it's so expensive. The reason I decided against it was the fact that I was told it's super clunky and noisy. Good for a track toy, not the best idea for a daily driver.
What about the Cusco LSD that IS designed for our car? Have you heard anything about that? It's cheaper too.

http://www.piercemotorsport.com/2017-2018-elantra-sport-cusco-limited-slip-differential/

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
19 Posts
So which one is loud and clunky, the Cusco? If the only downside to the Quaife is that it has to be modified and is a bit more expensive, that wouldn't stop me.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So which one is loud and clunky, the Cusco? If the only downside to the Quaife is that it has to be modified and is a bit more expensive, that wouldn't stop me.
Was told the Cusco was loud and clunky. The Quaife never came up in the conversation, but judging by it'd description it sounds like both of them need to be modified in some way to work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok, that makes more sense as Cusco is a clutch LSD while the Quaife is a helical unit which is what you get in awesome cars like the Civic Type-R. If the necessary modifications to the Quaife LSD don't compromise its reliability, longevity, or function in any way, I am definitely getting one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, that makes more sense as Cusco is a clutch LSD while the Quaife is a helical unit which is what you get in awesome cars like the Civic Type-R. If the necessary modifications to the Quaife LSD don't compromise its reliability, longevity, or function in any way, I am definitely getting one.

Did you end up with one? I see quaife is factory for the Detroit 3, so I'm also very tempted...

I am actually here (as a member) because lack of LSD is a bit lousy... I have told everyone over the past 2 years that this car is my dream car from when I was a kid with 4 door compromises perfect for me as a dad, down to it having the best looking rims I have ever seen. Like if these were aftermarket in a catalog I'd pick them...

Turbo just as all 'cool' cars in the 80s, 90s, and it's a great looking car, kind of like if the g70 is forward looking, the 2017/2018 Elantra is the ultimate " late 90s-now sports bubble fwd sedan" design, I'd say.

Just need that Mechanical LSD to be perfect (as in my personal dream car). I legit plan to keep this car, If I have my 1972 charger, and this, in 30 years, I'll be happy. Of course, hanging around here I'll have a piston sized hole in the valve cover...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keep me up to date on the LSD options in this thread. I would love to purchase one on my ES before buying any other mods first.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Keep me up to date on the LSD options in this thread. I would love to purchase one on my ES before buying any other mods first.
What you see is what we get at the moment. Nobody has purchased yet as far as I know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is what I received from Quaife sales.

Good Morning Jon,

Thank you very much for your enquiry;

Please find attached the technical drawing for the QDH21B, please usethis to compare the size of the differential in your vehicle as I’m not able tosay that this will fit with or without modification.

If the axle is shared between the vehicles it is likely that it willfit, but it is up to you to ensure the parts are the correct fitment.

If you have any further questions or I can be of any assistance in thefuture, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks and kind regards

Rob Vickers

Technical Sales

This e-mail and anyattachment may contain confidential information. If you are not the intendedrecipient

you are not authorised tocopy or disclose all or any part of it without prior written consent of R.T.QUAIFE ENG LTD.

Opinions expressed inthe email and any attachments are those of the sender and notnecessarily the

opinions of R.T. QUAIFE ENGLTD. Please scan this e-mail and any attachments forviruses. R.T. QUAIFE ENG LTD

does not accept anyresponsibility for problems caused by viruses whether it is the fault ofR.T. QUAIFE ENG LTD

or not. P Before printing, please think about theenvironment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts