Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once the tires on the 18s wear out, I'm thinking about downgrading to 17s. I rather have the nicer ride, less road noise, cheaper tires and less heartbreak. Sometimes I drive in really rough terrain (aka NYC) where potholes can chew up a tire (and wheel) real quick. And with the 40% aspect ratio tires, I know I'll get tons of bubbles and cracked wheels if I'm not careful.

Would like to run 215 or 225 wide 17s for most of the year.
I currently have snow tires on an old set of 16s.

Question...do you guys know other cars that has a decent looking set of OEM wheels that have the same center bore as ours? I believe we have 67.1? Don't really want to deal with running spacers and mounting them lug centric.

If not, can you recommend a good looking set of 17s from another Hyundai (I'm assuming most Hyundais run 67.1 bores)? I'm new to Hyundai and haven't really noticed other model's wheels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Once the tires on the 18s wear out, I'm thinking about downgrading to 17s. I rather have the nicer ride, less road noise, cheaper tires and less heartbreak. Sometimes I drive in really rough terrain (aka NYC) where potholes can chew up a tire (and wheel) real quick. And with the 40% aspect ratio tires, I know I'll get tons of bubbles and cracked wheels if I'm not careful.

Would like to run 215 or 225 wide 17s for most of the year.
I currently have snow tires on an old set of 16s.

Question...do you guys know other cars that has a decent looking set of OEM wheels that have the same center bore as ours? I believe we have 67.1? Don't really want to deal with running spacers and mounting them lug centric.

If not, can you recommend a good looking set of 17s from another Hyundai (I'm assuming most Hyundais run 67.1 bores)? I'm new to Hyundai and haven't really noticed other model's wheels.
Can you let me know what the measurements are on your 16" winter wheels? I like to think I can get away with 16-17" wheels to save on costs. Is it the offset that is the kicker that determines whether those larger front calipers will get sufficient clearance?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't let the advertisements fool us. We really don't have big rotors and big calipers. The 16" set up I currently have comes from my 19 year old GS400 (which I just sold). The GS's front rotors were around 12" as well. And this was 19 years ago...yes, cars in the late 90s also advertised having "big calipers and rotors".

My 16" wheel specs are as follows:
16 x 7.5
Around +45 or +50 offset. I'll have to take a look at the back of the wheels in the garage tonight to know for sure.
Hub bores on most Lexus and Toyotas are 60.06mm

Our ES has a hub bore of 67.1mm

So....if we find wheels with a centerbore that's smaller than 67.1mm, we'll need to find a thin 5x114.3 spacer (5 to 10mm should do it) to clear the hubs. Then mount the wheel on. The only issue with this is that it'll make the wheels lug centric instead of hub centric. But I'm ok with with the winter set up. We'll just have to make sure we tighten the lugnuts in a star pattern.

If you decide to go with other manufacturer's wheels, you may also need new lugnuts. I believe our cars come with the acorn style. But my Lexus wheels are the flat style with a washer. We have to use the style of lugnuts that fit the wheel. And we have to make sure the lug nuts have the correct thread pattern (M12 x 1.5 pitch for our cars I believe).

Let me know what you end up doing. If I have time this weekend, I'll test fit the Lexus wheels just to be sure. I'll also measure the front and rear hub/lip so I'll know what size spacers I'll need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.