Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good all-weather tire with a bit more tread to it, these low profile tires got chewed up pretty quick in my case, mostly from driving on bad roads in and around Baltimore. Anybody know a good tire for the stock ES rims that has more tread depth/thicker tread than stock? The offset I have now is a 45 I think but I'd have to double check.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If your roads are really bad, I'd downsize to 17" or 16" wheels so you can run tires with a larger sidewall.

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ and they are significantly better than the stock Hankook tires in regards to grip, road feel, and handling. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If your roads are really bad, I'd downsize to 17" or 16" wheels so you can run tires with a larger sidewall.

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ and they are significantly better than the stock Hankook tires in regards to grip, road feel, and handling. Very happy with them.
100% agree. Upgraded from stock, and I usually get Continental DWS (had them on two other Elantras, LOVE them).
These Michelins definitely have crisper turn in, more responsive handling, fantastic wet traction.
They definitely have more road noise, and a touch harsher ride, which I expected and accept due to their sportier nature.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I'm running Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's. Tread wear rating is 340 so it definitely offers more grip than stock but won't wear as fast as some of the big name aggressive street tires like the Falken RT615 or Hankook RS4 which are 200 TW. I've only driven them in the rain once and nothing really stood out to me as bad. Super grip in the dry, I do regular mountain runs and have no complaints there either. Road noise has been great too, and they are super smooth. For $125 a tire (235/40) I would highly recommend them. When this set wears out, going 245's.

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use Nitto NT555 G2s almost exclusively on my vehicles. Dry performance is exceptional, wet is acceptable, snow is bad. I do not recommend if you're planning on using them in the winter, but I do recommend them highly if you want almost too much grip for the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im approaching 20k on my 17ES and the sides are starting to crack a bit around the tread. I am overwhelmed with how many tires are on tire rack. I want a sport tire, but also a good grip tire in the rain and snow and a quiet tire, so not sure what I should look at. Thoughts?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Im approaching 20k on my 17ES and the sides are starting to crack a bit around the tread. I am overwhelmed with how many tires are on tire rack. I want a sport tire, but also a good grip tire in the rain and snow and a quiet tire, so not sure what I should look at. Thoughts?
Lots of resources at tirerack.com - I recommend you look over there. If you really need all-season tires though, just get Pilot Sport AS3+ and be done with it.

Next time I need to replace tires, I will be switching to Pilot Sport 4S - I will never drive the ES in the snow...

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I love my Firestone Indy 500's but they are most definitely not a snow tire.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you get any reasonable amount of snow(more then an inch that stays more then a few days), none of the tires mentioned so far are snow tires, full stop. No snowflake? No snow, period. They are all 3 season tires at best, and when the temperature drops below 7c, grip and performance therefore SAFETY drops significantly. Get a cheap set of stealies for the winter months and be done with it, don't risk your's and other's lives and vehicles by driving on summer tires in the snow.

·
Registered
3 Posts

As my grandson said I "just got new shoes" for my GT Sport (manual) and opted for the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ as well. I am hoping my gas mileage goes back up as it seems to have tanked in the past month. I was going to come on here to see what tires people recommended but in doing research myself came across these that seemed to be highly rated across the board.

I had the check engine light on as well, but after taking it to the dealer to get checked (the tire place said it was a Lg EVAP leak), they found nothing and it went off by itself. :confused:

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is real simple, Continental DWS06, don't even bother looking elsewhere:D

Reactions: Kizzle1 and sbreech

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought the BF Goodrich Comp 2. Slightly rougher ride (could be because they overinflated the tires), but I can move in rain like I was on dry road. Also, no spinout when coming off the line at a red light (dry or wet). Haven't had snow yet, but I feel like I'm never going back to stock tires or anything like it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts