Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! First off, I’ll start by admitting I’m not a DIY car guy so I take my vehicle to a local mechanic that I trust (try to avoid the dealers unless its warranty related). I wasn’t too savvy about what oil I should be using and got my first oil change (in a bind) at a local Jiffy Lube and used a synthetic blend (I know what was I thinking!?!?). Afterwards car was peppy but with a slight hesitation during initial acceleration. After reading the owners manual and a bunch of forum reading I decided to get the oil change done early (after 1k miles) and use Mobil 1 5-30w (dex 1 gen2 certified). I noticed two things immediately 1) the car was buttery smooth during start up and initial acceleration 2) It feels like half my engine power is gone!?! Any thoughts to what is causing this, the optimist in me is hoping the engine is getting used to better oil. I never experienced something like this following an oil change, but then again I’ve never owned a turbo charged vehicle. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
How much did you put in? You could have over filled which can actually hurt the engine. If so, I would drain some immediately or drain and re-fill with new oil to the correct amount. With a filter change I use around 4 quarts.

Reactions: 8777

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll check the receipt to see if it shows how much they put in. I’ll also check the oil stick (that much I can do). If its overfilled would the shop simply drain a little bit out, or would they have to drain all of it and fill again?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I’ll check the receipt to see if it shows how much they put in. I’ll also check the oil stick (that much I can do). If its overfilled would the shop simply drain a little bit out, or would they have to drain all of it and fill again?
They would probably drain and re-fill since it's hard to stop it from draining without making a mess using the stock plug.

Reactions: 8777

·
Registered
22 Posts
My suggestion, in future: DO NOT use the quick-lube joints! They all limit their liability for damage to your vehicle to $50.00 MAX!

A former GF had her VW oil pan drain hole stripped by a quick-lube outfit... $300+ later, lesson learned, the hard way. (by the way, the VW oil pan in her Passat was plastic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it wasn’t my first option but I was in a bind and had a big trip coming up. Checked oil level on my lunch break and it was a quarter inch over the F mark so I decided to hit the shop and have them drain/replace the oil. At my local shop now, car is getting checked out and test driven I’ll post an update afterwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.