Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
because of the immobilizer, im afraid you have to pay $350-500 to get the key programmed at the dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The immobilizer in theory stops cars from driving if the key isn't in it thats why some older keys had chips in them and all keyless starts the keys are programmed to the car. I think thats why the car does that long beep if you leave it on and take the key out I haven't tested this but in theory if you have the car on and take the key out it won't drive

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
The immobilizer in theory stops cars from driving if the key isn't in it thats why some older keys had chips in them and all keyless starts the keys are programmed to the car. I think thats why the car does that long beep if you leave it on and take the key out I haven't tested this but in theory if you have the car on and take the key out it won't drive
Theory busted: someone in my facebook group (I believe) got out of his car to check his mail and accidentally left the key hanging on the mailbox. Car drove away just fine. In fact he drove for several miles before he realized he didn't have them with him. Pretty funny.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah, I start my car to warm it up at work (large factory with steel walls) to warm it up then go back to my office.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Theory busted: someone in my facebook group (I believe) got out of his car to check his mail and accidentally left the key hanging on the mailbox. Car drove away just fine. In fact he drove for several miles before he realized he didn't have them with him. Pretty funny.
As long as the car was started then yes. The immobilizer is still there, but now in RF form with push button starts.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
As long as the car was started then yes. The immobilizer is still there, but now in RF form with push button starts.
Car was running when he got out, I assume he left he door open. Checked the mail, probably got distracted by it, got in the car and left. Didn't realize he left them behind until he got to the grocery store and shut the car off. Had to have his wife bring the spare key because he couldn't re-start it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
**** that kinda sucks but I'm not too worried about anyone stealing it because no one can drive stick these days

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.