Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, This is my second winter with the ES and I have noticed something strange. When the temperature drops to around 32F or lower, there is this loud creaking/cracking sound coming from somewhere behind the dashboard. It sounds like hard plastic flexing or knocking against each other and the sound comes when I drive over imperfections or joints on the road. I have tried my best to identify the source of the sound but have failed. The sound comes from the area where the windshield meets the dashboard. I tried inserting a piece of padding between this area but the noise still occurs and seems unfixable. It does seem to reduce when the heating has been run a while and the cabin warmed up. I also do hear a few random creaks from around the cabin at these temperatures but none as annoying as the one from behind the dashboard. I guess the problem is that all plastics become stiff at low temperatures and that causes these sounds only in winter. Anyone have the same issue or any pointers to fix?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Let me guess, from the driver's side around where the VIN is located. If 'yes' I have the same. Just part of the car living in cold conditions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wiper blade cowl sounds about right! The rattling seems to come from the whole windshield dashboard meeting area and not one particular point. Thank you. I will try this!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All, This is my second winter with the ES and I have noticed something strange. When the temperature drops to around 32F or lower, there is this loud creaking/cracking sound coming from somewhere behind the dashboard. It sounds like hard plastic flexing or knocking against each other and the sound comes when I drive over imperfections or joints on the road. I have tried my best to identify the source of the sound but have failed. The sound comes from the area where the windshield meets the dashboard. I tried inserting a piece of padding between this area but the noise still occurs and seems unfixable. It does seem to reduce when the heating has been run a while and the cabin warmed up. I also do hear a few random creaks from around the cabin at these temperatures but none as annoying as the one from behind the dashboard. I guess the problem is that all plastics become stiff at low temperatures and that causes these sounds only in winter. Anyone have the same issue or any pointers to fix?
did you find any solution? I have the same problem, when the temperature is is below 22C . My car starts making noises on the passenger side. It’s like any plastic is touching with any other plastic surface. But when it is hot. There is nothing.
Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi All, This is my second winter with the ES and I have noticed something strange. When the temperature drops to around 32F or lower, there is this loud creaking/cracking sound coming from somewhere behind the dashboard.
I get the sound you mention intermittently in the late fall , i.e., when the overnight temperature starts to be near the freezing point. Once the interior warms up the noise goes away. When the ambient temperature remains below freezing, the noise seems to disappear. FWIW, my car is parked in a carport, not in a garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts