Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyones,

I did my first manual transmission fluid change last weekend.

Just to tell you that after I saw the poor oil condition after just 13000km, I'm very happy to replace it with synthetic oil.

I'm curious about if other members obtain the same oil condition?

Attachments

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. When the tranny is cold, the shifting is smooter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much does it take? did you use the full 2 qts?
I removed around 1.8 quart and added 2 quarts less the bottom of each bottles and all the oil I can't remove from my manual pump.

At the end, between 1.8 and 1.9 quart.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used that pump. Very easy to use. No oil mess and it screw directly on Amsoil oil bottle.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Same stuff I did mine with about 2k miles ago. Noticeable difference and used all 2Qts. I was disappointed the drain bolt wasn't magnetic from factory and also oversized. Looks to be M16/M18 x 1.5. I have been on the hunt for a magnetic drain bolt that will fit.

·
Registered
175 Posts
at what mileage?

How many miles on your car did you change the trans oil? I'm afraid to change and possibly facilitate some slippage. Im only at 11,000 right now- Is it true you never need to change the trans oil for manual transmission cars?

·
Registered
347 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
How many miles on your car did you change the trans oil? I'm afraid to change and possibly facilitate some slippage. Im only at 11,000 right now- Is it true you never need to change the trans oil for manual transmission cars?
Changing oil doesn't cause slippage. The possible problem will only occur on a very worn transmission, to which the friction material is no longer on any surface area, and instead floating around within the oil. Draining that very old oil, from a worn transmission, will make a problem long in development, more known, as you have removed much of what is left of the gripping material.
Had proper maintenance taken place, before the transmission got to this point, the issue of the oil, will never be a factor.

Changing oil right now, or at any point within the healthy life of your transmission, will only go to further increase it's life span, and with perhaps a better weight of oil, offer some minor benefits.

Since, changing the oil as shown above, is not replacing all the oil inside, changing the oil periodically wouldn't be a bad idea, if your concern is the quality of oil in it now;or simply being on the forefront of maintenance.

·
Registered
214 Posts
well, technically changing the oil could cause slippage if you over fill the trans the mtf can get on the clutch causing it to slip. youd have to overfill the $hit out of it though.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
well, technically changing the oil could cause slippage if you over fill the trans the mtf can get on the clutch causing it to slip. youd have to overfill the $hit out of it though.
Unless you blow out a seal, there is no way for the fluid to come in contact with the clutch.

·
Registered
175 Posts
YES thank you

Changing oil doesn't cause slippage. The possible problem will only occur on a very worn transmission, to which the friction material is no longer on any surface area, and instead floating around within the oil. Draining that very old oil, from a worn transmission, will make a problem long in development, more known, as you have removed much of what is left of the gripping material.
Had proper maintenance taken place, before the transmission got to this point, the issue of the oil, will never be a factor.

Changing oil right now, or at any point within the healthy life of your transmission, will only go to further increase it's life span, and with perhaps a better weight of oil, offer some minor benefits.

Since, changing the oil as shown above, is not replacing all the oil inside, changing the oil periodically wouldn't be a bad idea, if your concern is the quality of oil in it now;or simply being on the forefront of maintenance.
THIS! yes this sounds right. similar to what I've heard. Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just changed the fluid today (6mt). Put in MOTUL TRANSMISSION GEAR 300 75W90 and it feels great. Also put in the shifter Cable bushings by SXTH, that really tightened things up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used that pump. Very easy to use. No oil mess and it screw directly on Amsoil oil bottle.
Did you use the Amsoil gearbox fluid? I know the Amsoil fluid is multi grade which is not what the manual calls for to use, but I am still planning to use it very soon. I use Amsoil in my engine, and have on all of my vehicles throughout my driving life, which has been since 1974. Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts