Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this question has been raised already but couldn't find the answer by a search. I have had my DCT ES for about 6 weeks now and absolutely love it! Like most though, I think it could do with more horespower. I have heard that the ECU will limit horsepower without a tune so my question is how much useable horsepower can be added to a DCT ES without a tune and what is the most economical mods to achieve this this? For instance will adding a K&N filter or a shorty big gulp plus an intercooler resonator delete get me to the maximum usable horsepower without a tune or will I need a downpipe. If I get a downpipe is is worth getting an intake or will the downpipe itself be enough or is there a combination of mods that works with a downpipe to achieve max useable horsepower gains.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a tune company local to me that managed to squeeze around 250whp and close to 300 torque. These engines are massively derated out of factory so with the proper maintenance I'm pretty confident you'd be able to daily it with these numbers. I'm a Hyundai tech and see all kinds of stuff come thru the shop, but never a 1.6 turbo that has blown up. and there is a good amount of tuned ones that I've seen come and go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The max whp we got out of our stock tune on the ES (we also have DCT) was 210whp. That was with a Big Gulp intake, Tork pipe, Dual OCC, and muffler delete.
Was it dyno'd before the changes? Curious what the gains were and if the extra power can be felt. Personally I prefer the sleeper style exhaust on a 4 cylinder; but I'm sure it can be kept relatively quiet with a less restrictive, aftermarket exhaust?

·
Registered
85 Posts
My question is not how the engine will cope.
But the Gearbox, Driveshafts & clutch will handle the extra power.. Talking about the Manual with the clutch.

What is the limit on these for breakage?? Also with the Catalytic converter. Changing to an aftermarket high flow type.
What that would do for your warranty ??

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
My question is not how the engine will cope.
But the Gearbox, Driveshafts & clutch will handle the extra power.. Talking about the Manual with the clutch.

What is the limit on these for breakage?? Also with the Catalytic converter. Changing to an aftermarket high flow type.
What that would do for your warranty ??
Lap3 has cars running 350whp on the stock clutch. Obviously that's not ideal and you should look at upgrading it in due time but there haven't been any issues that I know of.

As far as the warranty, everyone should know if you modify the car Hyundai can void your warranty if they wish. There are laws saying they have to prove a modified part caused another to fail, but it doesn't always work out that way. Replacing a factory cat and having the engine fail is a great way for them to refuse covering it. When you modify your car you take that chance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.