Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the past week I’ve been hearing a slight knocking or clacking sound on the side of my engine, the new motor only has 22k miles, odometer has 106k miles transmission shifts good just did fluid, new turbo from dealer with only 6000miles on it now , what could be the issue this time hoping it isn’t another blown motor if that’s the case then my warranty will have to bite it, I have the Hyundai extended warranty to 150k miles.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport 6MT Electric Blue
132 Posts
any weirdness with oil level or burning oil? just might as well check. what was the summary on the first motor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any weirdness with oil level or burning oil? just might as well check. what was the summary on the first motor?
doesn’t burn any oil at all, running sxth element dual catch can and running 5w40 liquid Molly and it was due to the first owner leased the car and never did his oil changes often so it had a extreme amount of carbon

·
Registered
132 Posts
I really hope you get to the bottom of it and find things out and I hope things work out for the best! definitely keep us all posted!

·
Registered
132 Posts
there's also this thread if you haven't read it yet

·
Registered
261 Posts
doesn’t burn any oil at all, running sxth element dual catch can and running 5w40 liquid Molly and it was due to the first owner leased the car and never did his oil changes often so it had a extreme amount of carbon
Seriously? Any car regardless of brand, you got to basic maintenance. I guess I'm lucky because mine doesn't seem to have these issues and the first owner only put 30K or so before I bought it. I'm fine with going every 3700-4000 miles to the dealer but these Hyundai engines just need way more TLC almost like a European car. OTOH, the Hyundai engines in the late 2000s were seemingly built like Toyotas, since I still see many of Sonatas and Elantras of that era on the road, before they introduced GDI and the other engine tech.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seriously? Any car regardless of brand, you got to basic maintenance. I guess I'm lucky because mine doesn't seem to have these issues and the first owner only put 30K or so before I bought it. I'm fine with going every 3700-4000 miles to the dealer but these Hyundai engines just need way more TLC almost like a European car. OTOH, the Hyundai engines in the late 2000s were seemingly built like Toyotas, since I still see many of Sonatas and Elantras of that era on the road, before they introduced GDI and the other engine tech.
it’s ridiculous I should have done a little bit more research when I bought it knowing that the owner didn’t change the oil often or even at all I would have went with another one. I do my oil changes at home either motul 5-40 or the occasional liquid Molly 5w 30 and definitely they do require more work then a regular car I owned a couple of high mileage e46’s and I agree before gdi was when the engine were better my dad had 1991 Hyundai excel and the engine didn’t blow until around 300k

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really hope you get to the bottom of it and find things out and I hope things work out for the best! definitely keep us all posted!
Definitely hope so too did another
hopefully I do! Just did a oil change today no metal in oil at all and the noise is still there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there's also this thread if you haven't read it yet

I’ve also read through this already doesn’t sound like my car at all , the noise only comes on when the ac is on or on a warm start, sounds coming from the bottom of the motor on the passenger side, sounds like a pulley almost.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
My car always had an audible clacking sound, could especially hear it when I was parked next to a wall. Car has over 90k miles now, had a stuffed turbo for a bit running 25psi and it's doing fine. I wouldn't worry too much, these engines are fairly noisy to begin with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My car always had an audible clacking sound, could especially hear it when I was parked next to a wall. Car has over 90k miles now, had a stuffed turbo for a bit running 25psi and it's doing fine. I wouldn't worry too much, these engines are fairly noisy to begin with.
What about when you warm start the car? Say like after filling up gas, also just got the car back from the dealership there saying they cannot replicate the noise and the engine sounds good, also noted that the noise im hearing is a bad ac compressor, guess my warranty does not cover that so I’ll just be replacing it myself and see if that noise goes away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What about when you warm start the car? Say like after filling up gas, also just got the car back from the dealership there saying they cannot replicate the noise and the engine sounds good, also noted that the noise im hearing is a bad ac compressor, guess my warranty does not cover that so I’ll just be replacing it myself and see if that noise goes away.
I have some what of the same noise, sounds like something is rattling off. I hear this more from first to third, can only really hear it when it's really quite outside and really close to passing objects. Not sure what it could be

1 - 14 of 14 Posts