Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there have been many many posts. I hope this is a little different. I have a 2017 ES automatic, one of the mods I want to do is a muffler delete. I have watched a number of videos and read many posts. I have gone to 4 different specialty muffler shops and have gotten different prices and thoughts, Example some shops said I cannot use the stock tips and have to buy after market? then some like magnaflow vs flowmaster. Then there is the school that say just take the muffler off. I am wondering if in the end its just an individual choice. I am not looking for a real loud noise but just something more throaty

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here at downunder I did resonator delete on stock, that made it a touch bit louder, that didn't do it for me so I changed the muffler to something much less restrictive, it's a local Australian manufacturer but the size is about 1/3 of the stock muffler. The whole setup was custom made, welded and fitted. It was perfect to my liking. I have a newborn so I can't go louder than 80dB and that kept it just around 70dB when I step on it. I would suggest taking the muffler off yourself, drive it around the neighborhood and feel for yourself. If too loud, put on a smaller muffler, too quiet, straight pipe the resonator (or resonator delete). I think most people here would go as far as resonator and muffler delete and that is good enough. Like you've already done, look at videos of which brand of muffler sound you like and go with that. But beware about resonator delete, there's a bit of drone on low RPM, good engine oil can reduce it but something you gotta get use to.

Above is for sound but if you worry about aesthetics, just get something you like the looks of before any work is carried out. And no, you can't use stock tip as that's welded to the muffler. You can't save money on that if that's what you were thinking.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Resonator delete isn't really worth it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here at downunder I did resonator delete on stock, that made it a touch bit louder, that didn't do it for me so I changed the muffler to something much less restrictive, it's a local Australian manufacturer but the size is about 1/3 of the stock muffler. The whole setup was custom made, welded and fitted. It was perfect to my liking. I have a newborn so I can't go louder than 80dB and that kept it just around 70dB when I step on it. I would suggest taking the muffler off yourself, drive it around the neighborhood and feel for yourself. If too loud, put on a smaller muffler, too quiet, straight pipe the resonator (or resonator delete). I think most people here would go as far as resonator and muffler delete and that is good enough. Like you've already done, look at videos of which brand of muffler sound you like and go with that. But beware about resonator delete, there's a bit of drone on low RPM, good engine oil can reduce it but something you gotta get use to.

Above is for sound but if you worry about aesthetics, just get something you like the looks of before any work is carried out. And no, you can't use stock tip as that's welded to the muffler. You can't save money on that if that's what you were thinking.
thanks very helpful

1 - 4 of 4 Posts