Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To preface this review - when I had both the aFe Scorcher module and LAP3 ProTuner, these were the following modifications on my car that relate to any power - straight pipe from downpipe back, cone air intake, TurboXS BOV

Let's start with aFe since that was what I had first. I purchased this back in October of 2018 and had it for approximately a month and a half. Installation of the Scorcher module was mostly straightforward - unplug the sensors - one on the intake manifold, one below the intake. Getting the controller from the interior to the engine bay was the only part that was painful, because on the DCT models, it requires removing the TCU and pushing the cable through the hood latch cable grommet. On a MT car, it would probably be easier without the TCU in the way. I then filled up on 93 and put it into its highest mode - race mode and took it for a drive. There are also three other modes - stock, sport, and sport+. For the majority of the time I owned it I left it in race mode. First impressions from what I remember - holy **** this wakes up the car so much from stock. Previously I never really had my tires spin in first gear, but this module helped light up those tires so easily. With traction control and stability off, and flooring it from a dead stop, the car would sound like there was a lot of backfire, and there was a lot of fuel being dumped in, so next thing I did was check the stock plugs and gap them to .028, and it helped a lot, making it run a little smoother. I used this for approximately a month and a half, and during that time I went to an autocross event - which I don't think it makes a great difference since suspension probably played a larger part than a tune - and I had also did a highway pull with a 2018 stock Civic SI from 70 mph - I won against it probably by half a car length. Gas consumption was quite high, mostly due to my own heavy foot from enjoying the module :p:p:p I average probably around 22 mpg or so with mostly local driving on the aFe module. Conclusion - for the money it definitely does a good amount, and even though they recommend stock spark plugs and oil, I recommend going with HKS M45XL plugs as well as an oil change to 5W-40 as well. After a month and a half I had sold the module to someone else and received the ProTuner from David at LAP3.

Onto the ProTuner review. I was the first tester for the ProTuner and had it installed by David himself. There are two extra plugs - a crank sensor plug and one for the CANBUS. Changing maps on the ProTuner was done through an app currently only available on Android as far as I am aware. There are 4 maps on the ProTuner as well - stock, 91 octane, 93 octane, and a meth map/e30 blend. For the majority of the time I had the ProTuner I used the 93 octane map. Make sure to change to 5W-40 oil and HKS M45XL spark plugs as they are a requirement! First impressions of the ProTuner - it was not as exhilarating as the scorcher if I am completely honest, however it is a much more refined and smoother transition into power, which was the first thing I noticed as soon as I had the ProTuner installed. In essence, the scorcher felt more raw and the ProTuner felt refined. On the 93 octane map, it still was able to light up the front tires, even after I had gotten better tires a month after owning it (BFGoodrich Comp 2 A/S). I had ran against a 2018 Camry XSE (206 horsepower and 186 lb-ft torque) from a 60 roll, and I took it by half a car length as well. I didn't get a chance to take the ProTuner on an autocross even this time, since it was the end of the season, but I imagine I would have the same conclusion as the scorcher - won't make too much a difference, suspension and tire play a bigger part. I had the ProTuner up until late December when I sold it, and during that time here are my observations. Compared to the scorcher, fuel consumption is better on the ProTuner, averaging 25 local. You will feel the tune once you go past ~3750 rpm or so, as thats when the boost really kicks in.

Both will NOT leave any traces in the ECU so if you ever need to take the car back to the dealer for warranty work, unplug and remove both and the dealer won't find a trace of it on the ECU.

Now the million dollar question - which would I recommend? It's hard to say honestly, because LAP3 is a known KDM tuner in the community and I would have no doubts as to reliability with the ProTuner, whereas aFe hasn't not been run by anyone for an extended amount of time yet so reliability is still up in the air for the scorcher module. Personally I would get a spare ECU and get a tune on that instead. However if you don't want that then here's what I have to say about both - if you're looking for a short term fun solution, the scorcher will fill your needs. If you're concerned about long-term use, I would recommend the ProTuner. Both WILL wake the car up, and is much better than stock in my opinion. Feel free to ask any more questions I couldn't cover on here

Attachments

Registered
I just install today my afe scorcher power for my elantra sport 2018. I had a injen air intake. I order the tork pipe from tork motorsport and hks m45 xl as well. I monitoring the boost via my torque lite app and i get 23 psi wich is not bad on the sport + mod. Very happy with the extra kick 馃檪. Can't wait to install those part. Im running 2x catch can too. An oil separator for the breather side and a common catch can for the PCV side.

Mike from quebec canada

Registered
I just install today my afe scorcher power for my elantra sport 2018. I had a injen air intake. I order the tork pipe from tork motorsport and hks m45 xl as well. I monitoring the boost via my torque lite app and i get 23 psi wich is not bad on the sport + mod. Very happy with the extra kick 馃檪. Can't wait to install those part. Im running 2x catch can too. An oil separator for the breather side and a common catch can for the PCV side.

Mike from quebec canada
so wait.... I thought on the afe on torque pro It would only show stock boost levels... If this is the case then it WILL leave evidence on the ecu if something happens..

Registered
so wait.... I thought on the afe on torque pro It would only show stock boost levels... If this is the case then it WILL leave evidence on the ecu if something happens..
App is going to show whatever the car is reading. If it's readying above stock levels, it will show above stock levels. I have a Lap3 ECU tune and Torque Pro is showing 21psi for me.

Registered
App is going to show whatever the car is reading. If it's readying above stock levels, it will show above stock levels. I have a Lap3 ECU tune and Torque Pro is showing 21psi for me.

I have the torque lite app for android and I select the pressure air intake gauge.The torque app read 23 psi on third gear for my car (max boost).

Registered
I am pretty sure if they start digging at the dealer, they going to find something quickly. I do not know regarding the stock boost levels on torque pro. I just get the app 1 week ago.

Reactions: 1sloES

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it doesn't actually read the proper boost levels on torque pro since the signals being intercepted by both of them. only way to get a true reading is with an analog boost gauge

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.