Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a bone stock 2012 VW GTI with a stick I bought brand new. I have test drove the manual transmission Elantra Sport twice now. I like the Elantra's handling and brakes better than my GTI, but my GTI has a MUCH better feeling engine. The torque from low RPM and the way my GTI pulls to redline is much better than the Elantra. It seems the Elantra has a narrower power band. I'm thinking Hyundai holds this engine back from having a better tune to make it run safe on 87 octane. I think there is more to it than my VW having an engine 400 cc's larger. I wish Hyundai would have included the fuel octane sensor to allow more power when the ECU senses higher octane fuel is being used, like Ford does. I don't like aftermarket ECU tunes.
Hyundai, if you are listening, add the fuel quality sensor Ford uses, retune the ECU to allow better output with better gas and charge a little more
on the 2019 model to compensate the engineering and added cost if needed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yeah the power does fall off at like 5500-6k, however I think its great for getting around town quickly since a lot of the power is delivered down low. I HATED revving the **** out of my 2016s 1.8 just to get to where I needed to go.

But I do plan on an aftermarket tune myself, nothing insane, but just something to get rid of the bad factory tune.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
1) smaller engine
2) smaller turbo
3) less power outright from the factory
4) factory tune is crap (it also has power limiters)

The cars are making good power with bolt-ons + a tune. But it's a lot of power down low and it falls off a cliff up high, because that's just the nature of stock turbo. A good upgrade is to use the turbo from a Veloster. Not much higher output, but it has a much better power curve to redline.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.