Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright guys, this will be an ongoing thread mainly to keep track of everything that’s been going on.

Let me preface by saying that David has been awesome to deal with and has been nothing but helpful during this situation. And this thread isn’t me being against Lap3, i still plan on running their tune when I get everything sorted.

I bought a Lap3 93 tune for my DCT car from a guy on the ES group who had bought the wrong thing and just wanted as much money as he could get back without getting hit with just being prorated for a new tune. I paid quite a bit lower than anyone else would have for it. Tune was new and un-used otherwise it wouldn’t even work.

Installed new HKS M45XL plugs and the tune and right off the jump after getting the car started I noticed a floating idle, rising and dropping about 100 RPMs, maybe a bit less. Drove the car and it lurched back and forth pretty bad, not just a little bit...it moves my body lmao. The RPM gauge will rise up and down when this happens as if something is cutting timing or being limited. Car pretty much drives normal when just cruising and not in boost.

I got with David and he suggested my boost solenoid is bad. That’s fine, I’ll probably need one anyway in the future. Got it in and installed, still the same issue when the tune is installed. NONE of these issues are happening with the stock ECU.

And that’s where I am today. Despite me being ready to just say screw it and chalk it up as an expensive loss, David is sending me a new ecu with a new tune to rule out the tune being the issue. Something he absolutely doesn’t have to do but that’s just the type of folks they are.

I’ll be shipping it out in the AM and putting my stock ECU in once again and hopefully this was just a glitch.

I’m at the point where I’m set on either the tune being off or my DCT is slipping. But my car drives great with the stock ecu and despite the lurching, the car still pulls through the RPM range and shifts gears fine.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE. New ECU is here and installed.

Car runs amazing. I’m ecstatic. I know Lap3 doesn’t frequent here but David has been amazing.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Alright ya'll.

I wasn't going to post a review of my Lap3 tune till my issues were resolved and I had some miles on it. Now that both have been done I'll post a quick review of it.

Install is easy.
just take the battery out
unplug the ECU
unbolt the stock ECU from the mount
swap with the new ECU and reinstall in reverse order.

Also make sure you install HKS M45XL plugs and 5w40 oil of your choice, however Motul XCESS 8100 is highly regarded. With the plugs you shouldn't need to gap them as they come from the factory ready to go. The electrode on them is so fine that I wouldn't recommend trying it anyway.

Once you've done that, I pressed the start button two times without my foot on the brake to turn on the accessories, waited 1 minute and then turned off and actually started the car. Basically this just syncs everything up. You really don't have to do this, but this is the way ive seen other people do it after doing an ECU swap on these cars.

As far as performance is concerned, I haven't gotten it on a dyno to get official numbers because I really don't have local access to one/I really don't care to until I get some more power mods on there. But I can tell you the car pulls extremely well. I have a DCT car and haven't gotten any clutch slip or anything like that. I have added a GTI and a couple other cars within our "tier" to my kill list already.

Once I get my coilovers and some better tires, brake lines and fluid I'll be hitting my first road course event in this car so I'll definitely report back with how it did on an actual course and not a drag strip.

Overall, the car performs better all around and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend David Chung and Lap3 to anybody.

This is just a quick review overall, if anyone has any questions i'll answer them to the best of my ability

Attachments

Reactions: birdman and mightar

·
Registered
248 Posts
Any other supporting mods at all? I'm tempted by a tuned ECU as it's an easy swap and the cheapest way to get a real power increase, plus deal with the hesitant/choppy part throttle acceleration.

I'm assuming it takes the car from a stock ~170ish whp to 200-210 from what they say, but the torque in the midrange is probably felt more strongly and that could be 50 foot pound increase in some spots. How does it feel right up top? I find winding the needle past 4500-5000rpm doesn't happen often becuase the power flattens off so much, is it more peaky? I'd assume with a beefier midrange the feel is about the same but theres simply more power/torque everywhere anyway.

·
Registered
336 Posts
https://www.lap3usa.com/product-page/elantra-sport-1-6t-gdi-ecu-tune has links to the dyno charts. According to their FB page, the bolt ons consist of intake, FMIC, and exhaust. on 93 octane on a manual transmission, it is

Base: 188ps / 26.42kg m (185whp / 191 ft lb)
After: 243ps / 41.70kg m (240whp / 301 ft lb)

If you look at the dyno chart, you'll notice that the torque curve isn't as flat as the stock tune, so throttle response won't be as smooth/consistent.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yeah see I wouldn't do a 93 tune and don't have FMIC and exhaust, it'd be a 89/91 (95RON) tune with just the intake done, so I'd be starting lower and getting less peak too, but still those numbers are promising, at 4500 it looks like you could still easily expect 50whp/50wtq increase which is really good on a stock turbo.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Any other supporting mods at all? I'm tempted by a tuned ECU as it's an easy swap and the cheapest way to get a real power increase, plus deal with the hesitant/choppy part throttle acceleration.

I'm assuming it takes the car from a stock ~170ish whp to 200-210 from what they say, but the torque in the midrange is probably felt more strongly and that could be 50 foot pound increase in some spots. How does it feel right up top? I find winding the needle past 4500-5000rpm doesn't happen often becuase the power flattens off so much, is it more peaky? I'd assume with a beefier midrange the feel is about the same but theres simply more power/torque everywhere anyway.
All i have other than the tune is a SXTH intake, IRD and soon to be SXTH axle back and obviously the HKS Spark plugs and 5w40 MOTUL oil. Since It is still stock turbo, you it will still not be crazy power wise up in the higher RPM range but honestly I haven't had any complaints with how much faster and responsive the car has been. Id say 2nd and 3rd are the strongest gears but 4th-6th still pull pretty well. When I raced a GTI I pretty much spun through 2nd and 3rd and still put a car on him lol.

Probably the only other mods I'll be doing is an FMIC after I get SXTHs catch cans (which are out btw). I'll do a downpipe sooner or later but really don't care about that, I really care more about cooling because I'll be taking this car to track events with my buddies club who hits road courses.

https://www.lap3usa.com/product-page/elantra-sport-1-6t-gdi-ecu-tune has links to the dyno charts. According to their FB page, the bolt ons consist of intake, FMIC, and exhaust. on 93 octane on a manual transmission, it is

Base: 188ps / 26.42kg m (185whp / 191 ft lb)
After: 243ps / 41.70kg m (240whp / 301 ft lb)

If you look at the dyno chart, you'll notice that the torque curve isn't as flat as the stock tune, so throttle response won't be as smooth/consistent.
Funny enough throttle response is worlds better than stock and is actually smoother than stock. I don't have to step on the gas nearly as hard to get it going, especially from a stop. Everything about the tune has improved over stock, even MPG when you're just driving around normal has been MUCH better than stock.

Reactions: birdman
1 - 7 of 7 Posts