Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, big shout out to David Chung and the crew at Lap3 for producing a quality product. I finally had some time to install my pro-tuner and did the HKS M45XL plugs as well as required.

Impressions-

The install was very straightforward and as the installation instructions suggest, the process took between 15min and half an hour. The look and feel of the product is of high quality. Wires are protected by the corrugated plastic sleeves, and the end connectors have an OEM look and feel. The only portion that took a bit of time was routing the wires through the bay for a clean look, which was a personal preference thing.
The PROSS app (downloaded through the Google Play store) is very straightforward as well. You enter the serial number from your Bluetooth dongle, and it syncs quickly. Map switching is quick and easy.

The maps-

Since I live in California, I was not able to get access to 93 octane as of yet. So I will be reviewing map 1 (91+) and the map 3 (e30), with map 0 retaining stock tune settings.

Map 1 is definitely a noticeable improvement over the stock map, and feels how the ES should have come from the factory. I felt more available torque coming from a stop, and accelerating into boost is smooth with a wave of power felt through the rpm range. As others have said, when the boost kicks in, you definitely feel it.

Map 3 is just as I expected it. There is an even more notable increase in power running the e30 mapping. Same boost characteristics. The way I can describe it is that accelerating in gear (6mt) feels as if you are accelerating with a lower gear. 4th pulls like 3rd, 3rd pulls like 2nd, etc. Power deliver through the rev range is again very smooth and the car pulls forward with ease. With Traction Control off, hitting boost will break the tires loose in 2nd gear.

As time goes on, I'll add my long term impressions. Currently, there are no issues that affect the everyday drivability of the car, and idle even seems smoother than before. Note that the units of measurement in the real time vitals are currently metric, but David has discussed that there maybe an app update in the works to address that. Pics of install will follow later this week due to being away from home.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More pictures of install

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does. There are 3 maps programmed into the tuner module. Map/tune 0 is stock setting, mapping/tune is optimized for 91 octane, map 2 is optimized for 93 octane, and map 3 (the most aggressive of the included tunes, is optimized for e30. E30 can be achieved by blending 3.5 gallons of e85 and then topping off your tank with 91/93.

Registered
How does this unit handle it if the right fuel is not provided for the maps? Does it have some kind of fail safe available so as to not blow up the motor? Also do we get updates if and when they are released? I would have loved to see a dynochart or know the figures for this but none seem to be available publicly. I am on the fence right now about tuning or not to. One side of my brain tells me I would like to retain the factory warranty and not do any mod to disturb that while the other side tells me what the hey!! I have done quite a few mods on my other Hyundai car that's a CRDi hatchback and it has held up pretty well with no issues whatsoever. The latest of which is a custom remap on the existing ECU along with a straight pipe and the results are good. Earlier I used a similar piggyback unit on that which had a keyfob remote to change modes between Stock, Eco, Sport 1 and Sport 2 all on the same quality of diesel. The different modes would alter the timing and the boost. The S2 mode could kick serious rears but used to produce a lot of black smoke. So I think Hyundai engines are pretty receptive to accepting custom tuning without blowing up in the face.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.