Registered
2,365 Posts
It has been done.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Any more info? While I assume (altough sometimes I should not) the knob is a 100% fit, are there any known issues with the fitment of the leather boot on N-line knob?

PS: how does the knob come off? Is it lifted up?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Any more info? While I assume (altough sometimes I should not) the knob is a 100% fit, are there any known issues with the fitment of the leather boot on N-line knob?

PS: how does the knob come off? Is it lifted up?
Knob is direct fit and I think you need the boot that goes with it.

Can't answer your other question as I don't have a DCT.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! The knob with leather boot are on their way. I do have a sewing machine that I know how to use, in case the boot needs some trimming. I found photos of the ES boot and it is simply stapled to the plastic frame that snaps into the opening. Should not be an issue to make it fit. I will post photos.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks! The knob with leather boot are on their way. I do have a sewing machine that I know how to use, in case the boot needs some trimming. I found photos of the ES boot and it is simply stapled to the plastic frame that snaps into the opening. Should not be an issue to make it fit. I will post photos.
Do you mind of I ask how you ordered it? I've followed every thread I can find from the link you gave, and I cant find anything that would let me buy it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolutely! I found it here: https://motorialkorea.com/collections/i30-elantra-gt/products/2018-2019-hyundai-i30-elantra-gt-oem-n-line-gear-shift-knob-lever-a-t-boot
If you drive ES, go with the variant with the new leather boot. The boot will have to be attached to the original frame from ES (after detaching factory boot) . If you drive Elantra GT, then you only need the knob.
Disclaimer: I am voicing my opinion based on the fact that GT has different shape of the centre console and this knob seems to have larger diameter Base than ES knob. I might be wrong, but I preferred to get both parts just in case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ordered one a few days ago. Keeps the updates coming, I'd like to get a heads up on what I'm in store for lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My order have arrived. I can confirm that the ES boot will not fit the N-line knob (the base of the knob is wider) and that N-line boot will not fit the ES boot's plastic frame. In other words, custom boot needs to be made. For know I am unable to remove the knob - any ideas? I was able to snap the boot's plastic frame off, but that about it. I need to go shopping for some leather in order to make a new boot.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will try that again with more force this time. Thank you!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
@Feared#87 - thanks for the information! I did work, but some considerable amount of force was required. Nothing broke in the process.

I disassembled the shifter knob assembly. The OE boot is stapled and glued at the bottom frame and glued only at the top. While staples were not a problem to remove, I did have to use hairdryer to gently warm up the glue in order to peel the boot off.

The OE boot is pretty good quality faux leather. I purchased a yard of very similar looking material at the local fabrics store. Only difference is fact that it is softer than OE. As you can see on the photos, ES boot is narrower at the knob's base and wider and the snap-in frame end. What I did is a pattern that incorporates ES's bottom shape and GT N-Line upper portion. I turned rather well at first approach and I am happy with result. With that in mind I will make another boot in the weeks to come that is little more tailored, this one turned out little on the loose side in the middle section, or at least it appears so. If anyone wants a boot, it is not difficult to make and even home sewing machine will handle it. Some strips of 1/4 inch seamstick tape is also required to reattach the boot. If you really want this mod, talk to me and I just might make an extra boot for you. I was able to reproduce OE design 100% on the rear side (the part you will be looking at most of the time) in terms of contrast stitching actually reinforcing the construction. I was unable to do the same on the front end of the boot due to limitations of my sewing machine. The red stitching is there, but it is ornamental only. My thread is also only 50% diameter of the OE thread - this is again limitation of my sewing machine, but looks just as good. I used marine grade polyester thread resistant to weather, UV and anything else in between.

I really like how this turned out. The knob is thick and feels great in hand. Why Hyundai could not do this at the factory??? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
@Feared#87 - thanks for the information! I did work, but some considerable amount of force was required. Nothing broke in the process.

I disassemble the shifter knob assembly. The OE boot is stapled and glued at the bottom frame and glued only at the top. While staples were not a problem to remove, I did have to use hairdryer to gently warm up the glue in order to peel the boot off.

The OE boot is pretty good quality faux leather. I purchased a yard of very similar looking material at the local fabrics store. Only difference is fact that it is softer than OE. As you can see on the photos, ES boot is narrower at the knob's base and wider and the snap-in frame end. What I did is a pattern that incorporates ES's bottom shape and GT N-Line upper portion. I turned rather well at first approach and I am happy with result. With that in mind I will make another boot in the weeks to come that is little more tailored, this one turned out little on the loose side in the middle section, or at least it appears so. If anyone wants a boot, it is not difficult to make and even home sewing machine will handle it. Some strips of 1/4 inch seamstick tape is also required to reattach the boot. If you really want this mod, talk to me and I just might make an extra boot for you. I was able to reproduce OE design 100% on the rear side (the part you will be looking at most of the time) in terms of contrast stitching actually reinforcing the construction. I was unable to do the same on the front end of the boot due to limitations of my sewing machine. The red stitching is there, but it is ornamental only. My thread is also only 50% diameter of the OE thread - this is again limitation of my sewing machine, but looks just as good. I used marine grade polyester thread resistant to weather, UV and anything else in between.

I really like how this turned out. The knob is thick and feels great in hand. Why Hyundai could not do this at the factory??? :)
Came out good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Came out great. I may be reaching out to you soon, if I can't find a local place to do it. I can't sew anthing. I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking good! I am glad I was able to help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To update this thread this it seems like there is a boot available for the elantra now.
Here
I just ordered so we will see in 17-32 business days

1 - 20 of 24 Posts