Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, as per this article - https://www.motoring.com.au/hyundai-i30-n-line-warm-hatch-now-available-116052/

,and seemingly following suit with Europe, our i30/Elantra SR turbo's (what you'd call the Elantra Sport/Elantra GT sport in the US) will no longer be sold under the SR name and will be sold as N-Line variants

If I'm being honest I don't mind the change at all and think that it works quite well and follows suit with the likes of BMW (full blown M cars, then M sport semi sporty) Audi and others. Plus the changes like the N branded shifter, seats, badging etc all look pretty trick to me.

I wonder if USA will follow suit? what do ya'll think about it? Time to get some N-Line accessories methinks!

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
327 Posts
Interesting information. I would not be opposed to changing my 'Sport' badge with 'N Line'. Hmm.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Someone in my facebook group that works for Hyundai posted that the Elantra GT Sport (US model) will become the Elantra GT N Line for 2019.

Makes me wonder if the Sport sedan will make the same change. We have yet to see anything about the US version. For some reason they are waiting to release the info. My hope is they realized the design sucks and they are scrambling to fix it but somehow I doubt it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not too surprising - the 2020 Kia Soul that has the 1.6T Gamma engine is labelled as a "GT-Line".

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes me wonder if the Sport sedan will make the same change. We have yet to see anything about the US version. For some reason they are waiting to release the info. My hope is they realized the design sucks and they are scrambling to fix it but somehow I doubt it.
Same here in Aus, no info at all on it yet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looking on the Hyundai's Australian website..

It looks like the Elantra is going to be called the Elantra Sport & Elanta Sport Premium.
Looks like even dropping the SR & Turbo from the name.. Nothing on N-Line either.

But in saying that, it does say "Coming Soon" So it may be revealed when it's available.

I also see that a couple of colours have changes. Iron grey is now Fluidic Metal. And Phoenix Orange is now Lava Orange. Not sure if any difference to actual colour though

https://www.hyundai.com.au/cars/small-cars/elantra

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like the Elantra will get called the sport now in Australia too because there is no 'N' version of it, but they've comitted to axing the SR moniker

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Elantra GT N-Line's are already showing up at dealerships in Canada.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same here it would seem, but locally the hatchback is called the i30. It confounds me why they have to be different, especially because it screws up new car sales stats, where other vehicles the sedan and hatch are grouped, they often aren't in Aus because of the different model names.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Same here it would seem, but locally the hatchback is called the i30. It confounds me why they have to be different, especially because it screws up new car sales stats, where other vehicles the sedan and hatch are grouped, they often aren't in Aus because of the different model names.
In the US the i30 or Elantra GT was a replacement for the Elantra Touring in the US. So I guess they thought they would keep the nameplate the same.
As originally the Elantra & i30 were different platforms when developed. Hence why we in Australia still have the Elantra & i30 nameplate, even though they are very similar now

·
Registered
66 Posts
I dunno, I just don't get it. Sport becomes "N" because of a bit of bling, maybe causing future market values of Sports to drop (as its an old name). And this from previous BMW M guys who make sure (eg; the M240i) a strong engine goes with the appearance "M Line" similar type cars without losing luxury because of performance adds, by that I mean they are upscale without being true M cars.

Makes me think of this favorite old time commercial from Wendy's, where's the beef? :)

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I dunno, I just don't get it. Sport becomes "N" because of a bit of bling...
"N-Line"

Very similar to Audi's S-Line. It's also more than just bling, the suspension gets some tweaks too. I think they will sell quite well to people who can't afford or don't want an all out N Performance car. You get a taste of it for less money. I'm a big fan of the Elantra GT getting the package because the current GT Sport styling is a bit on the conservative side.

·
Registered
66 Posts
"N-Line"

Very similar to Audi's S-Line. It's also more than just bling, the suspension gets some tweaks too. I think they will sell quite well to people who can't afford or don't want an all out N Performance car. You get a taste of it for less money. I'm a big fan of the Elantra GT getting the package because the current GT Sport styling is a bit on the conservative side.

I agree, especially re: the Elantra GT. As a replacement for my wife's 2014 GT, the N-Line might change her thinking about the new version.

Audi has been very successful pulling thousands from people in the same way without any improvement in HP or torque, and I'm sure Hyundai know it.. Their S-Line looks fabulous compared to the version without it. Makes me wonder how many A3's and A4's they would sell if they all started out with the S-Line treatment. But its big business, ie; how to make money 101, hence the added cost package.

In a convoluted way I was trying to say these new N Line versions should come with more HP and torque. And without going to the 2.0T, a 91 minimum octane tune for the 1.6 is the answer I think, factory warranty included. ALSO to be available for sale to existing Sport customers (YES!!!)..... There's an easy 25 HP and torque without going aftermarket or being involved in installation etc.

BMW offers its compact car in 230 guise with their 2.0 turbo, and then the upgrade M240 which looks better, has more aggressive brakes and suspension but also the turbo 6. However when test driving it, I found good luxury too, sound deadening and so on. Not great in the value for money category, but a template for what I was hoping the intermediate N-Line from Hyundai would be like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts