Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting familiarized with my ES navigation system. I haven't been able to figure out a quick way to set a city as the destination while driving. I can't select a city from the Destination screen since there is no "Cities" category. For safety reasons, if the car is in motion you can't type the name of a city in the Search Bar. Voice command doesn't produce any results if I say "Find <name of city>."

Judging by the user's manual, in order to set a city as a destination I'll have to select the POI category Community, then select City Halls, and finally Filter by City. Have I missed something here? Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
With the advent of Android Auto, and Apple Car Play, OEM navigation systems are so far behind what is possible, why manufacturers still even bother is puzzling to me. Honestly, plug in your preferred device and just Google Maps/Waze your way. Google Assistant works while driving, and is uncanny at understanding what you say, far safer then typing in a destination, or searching for a POI whale driving. I was visiting the in-laws with the wife a few weekends ago, all my passengers wanted Starbucks, because millennials, and all I had to do was hit the voice button on the wheel and told google to take me to Starbucks', and had me on the route faster then someone could ask me if I just asked my car for directions. No, I asked google for directions, the car doesn't have OEM nav, and I wouldn't use it if it did.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Waze and Google maps do work very well on my iPhone, but neither is compatible with Apple CarPlay (at least not yet). I'll have to keep experimenting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
To be honest, Apple Maps has worked a treat for me so far. I think waze is an excellent maps app but just being able to tell Siri where I am trying to navigate to while driving wins in my book. I unfortunately don't have the navigation due to having base trim.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They really should just implement screen mirroring rather than creating their own navigation systems. It would make way more sense to just utilize the apps on your phone and have them shared on the infotainment screen. I guess they wouldn't be able to charge extra for a tech package if that was the case...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts