Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got my new DCT ES 2 days ago and honestly, it's amazingly fun. Funnest car I've ever driven and it sounds incredible.

But. I'm worried about the average MPG it's getting. I've been mostly driving around a small city (Iowa City) and it's getting around 22 MPG on average. It has around 300 miles on it now. (I got the car at 250 miles, dealer swap). Should I keep driving it and wait until I get more miles on it before I start worrying?

I drive mostly in the 2k-4k RPM range and like rev it in that range to hear that great turbo sound. I notice that when I accelerate moderately in that range, the meter showing the CURRENT MPG drops really low (below 10, close to 0 mpg). Is this normal?

So I was worried about this and decided to take a small trip where I drove as conservatively as possible. I basically babied the car (no throttle down hills, lightly accelerated up hills, efficient breaking, never went above 2.5k RPM, followed speed limits perfectly) and I managed to get 30 MPG. Is that good enough for such light treatment?

Sorry for the long post. Would really appreciate some advice.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
When you are in boost the car will get bad mileage, just how it is. Most that live in the city are getting mid to high 20's. I have a long commute at moderate speeds with no stops and get low 30's. Driving style, roads, temperature, fuel used, etc, etc can all contribute to low mileage.

·
Registered
106 Posts
when I just got my car, I used to get around 10L per 100km. now I m down to high 7.xL per 100km. not sure how is that when converted to MPG.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got mine last week, im guessing because the car is new and not broken in yet. Its getting bad mileage. Give it time and it will improve. Also use 93 if you can. Huge difference in power and fuel economy.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Welcome to the turbo life lol. Use good gas (93) and good oil. I get anywhere between 24-35. Just all depends on how I’m driving and how much traffic there is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I for the most part drive in NON-Sport mode, city driving not much long distance but will drive spirited from time to time. Right now I am averaging about 26 MPG, 29 MPG when I play nice, this car is not really a high MPG earner so it is what it is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As R1600Turbo said, it really depends on how you drive it. I have an 18 DCT, and if I really baby it (not in sport mode, light acceleration, and allow the car to shift for me) I can get upwards of 35 MPG in mixed driving. Driving it more aggressively, in sport mode and shifting myself, my worst tank has been 28. My guess is that you are on the gas harder than you realize to get 22.

Reactions: moneynmotion

·
Registered
248 Posts
That's the thing with turbo cars really, especially this one (and others like it in this day and age) - it's a fuel sipper when you're good with that right foot, but when you have more stop starts and especially when you use more throttle and get on boost, they do drink some fuel.

It will likely settle a bit from that new car feel and you wont feel that need to accelerate so much all the time (or maybe you will? lol), if you just pick your times more this car will return you extremely respectable economy.

My favourite is open road or twisties, it will consume as good as 35+ mpg cruising and being good, but if you're having fun or making seriously good time it only seems to want 25-29mpg for that which is great imo when you're hauling ass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha, thanks for the posts guys. Its interesting, if you REALLY baby it on the highway you can get upwards of 50 MPG (120km/h seems to be a sweet spot) Only getting around 23 around the city though normally. I'll just have to keep driving and learn more about this car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts