Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

Thanks for hosting this site! I'm a new owner of a 2020 blue Elantra Sport. I picked it up on Saturday, and it is currently in the shop right now getting the windows tinted at 25% rear / 35% front. I traded a 2014 Mini Cooper S for this car. Having considered the Elantra Limited, there was no way I could go down in performance that much, so I decided the ES was the way to go to be almost as quick, fairly nimble, and a little more room than the Cooper S.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Congrats and welcome! I am surprised you're able to get window tinting done - here in California, it would be considered a non-essential business...

Enjoy and be safe!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats and welcome! I am surprised you're able to get window tinting done - here in California, it would be considered a non-essential business...

Enjoy and be safe!
My tint guy is also a mechanic, so he takes business in to stay alive. This "pandemic" is really hurting a lot of small businesses, so I decided to do my part and keep him busy. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
My tint guy is also a mechanic, so he takes business in to stay alive. This "pandemic" is really hurting a lot of small businesses, so I decided to do my part and keep him busy. :)
Ah that's cool. And I totally hear you about folks taking in business to stay alive. This whole thing is such a mess. Hopefully things will let up soon - if anything so that folks can earn a living again and put food on the table and take our vehicles for a spin!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ah that's cool. And I totally hear you about folks taking in business to stay alive. This whole thing is such a mess. Hopefully things will let up soon - if anything so that folks can earn a living again and put food on the table and take our vehicles for a spin!
Exactly! I just read your signature. I had a 2017 Rebel blue S60 Polestar. It was a nice car, but a bit cramped, so traded it for a 2020 Jaguar E-Pace P300R. My only experience with Audi was a 2002 TT 225 Alms edition. I've had several Mini's, but the real beast of power was my 2013 BMW 550i X drive with the //M tune and full Dinan exhaust.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey! I am looking to buy an Elantra Sport this weekend. Are you able to let me know what the price you paid out the door?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi There! Sticker was $25265, and there was $2250 off the top, and qualified for $500 military discount. Out-the-door, I financed (at 0%) $24,000 even, with tax and plate transfer, zero money down. I did have a trade. My Mini had a lot of miles, with a KBB trade in value of $5600, with me owing $8500 on it. They gave me $9000 for the Mini, which totally shocked me.

The key to getting a good deal on a car is 1.) Know your credit score (if financing). That way, you KNOW what you qualify for, and you know how much your payment will be based on how much you're financing. If you know you will qualify for 0%, this makes it very easy. Take the amount financed and divide it by the number of months financed. 2.) Know how much you want to finance. Knowing this, you will know what your payments will be. 3.) Don't let them focus on monthly payments if you know #1 and #2 above. 4.) If you have a trade in, know the value. Look it up on KBB. If you think it is in excellent shape, look up the price at good. If you think it's good, look at the price at fair. They will tell you that your car is a beater with a lot of items that need reconditioned. 5.) again, remember #2 and #3 above.

If they want to only focus on monthly payment, don't be afraid to walk out. If they won't get the amount financed where you want it to be, don't be afraid to walk out. Be polite, and in your conversations, mention other colored Sport models that you saw at their competitors lots. Call those dealerships first, talk to a salesman. Get his or her name. Name drop when you're at the dealership you want to buy from. Stand your ground on what you want to pay. It's your money. Less than an hour into my deal, the salesman said, "we can get you in another car for that price." I said, "no, I want that car. Just say you can't do it if you can't. I'll go to dealership XYZ. It's not a problem. They have the same car and we were already pretty close to what I wanted when I came here. I just wanted to see what you could do."

Stay with the salesman as long as possible. They aren't selling many cars this time of the year (thanks, Coronavirus). When they are with you, they're not with another customer making a sale. That means he needs YOU to buy a car. They don't necessarily get their money from individual car sales, but rather from VOLUME per day / week / month. That's where their real money comes from.

The finance manager will try to sell you a whole bunch of crap. I always decline that stuff, EXCEPT for the 10 oil changes for $200. But, I pay for that with cash. I don't want that added into my payment. Also things like cargo nets and all weather mats can be purchased for about 1/2 price on the internet - for genuine Hyundai OEM products...

Good luck, and have fun! New car smell is awesome. Get your car, then jump on Amazon and buy some nice microfiber cloths and some Griot's Garage spray wax and Griot's Garage Leather cleaner and conditioner and enjoy!

Sorry for such a long write-up, but I've bought a LOT of cars in my lifetime, and I have a buddy that sold cars for a LONG time giving me advice....

·
Registered
2019 Elantra Sport
37 Posts
As a 34 year old father, veteran, and someone who's worked car deals numerous times, may I say this: what a perfect run down of how people "should" negotiate & purchase a car. Well written, perfect advice. Like the old song goes - "I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger" 😂.

Seriously, a+, sir. Many people will undoubtedly benefit from following your lead. Kudos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the kind words. I whittle it down to the two fundamental properties of money. 1.) money hates to stay in your pocket and 2.) everybody wants to get your money. If you always keep your eye on your money, you can keep it longer. Dealerships want your money. You want a car. You want to keep as much money as possible and still get that car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts