Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N-Line 1.6T Manual
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently swapped my Tork motorsports BOV, which was brand new but was dumping all the boost whenever I floored it. Constant 'hissing' sound and no 'BOV' sound. Surprisingly the car was making 20+ PSI with the Sawyer chip, even with that BOV.

With the Sawyer chips, you can really feel the boost ramp in at around 4500RPMs, lots of torque steer - but it pulls so damn hard. And I'm only running 89 octane. Next time I fill up, I will be putting in 93. These chips didn't cost me much, but their customer service is amazing. They sent me a brand new chip, tuned for this car the moment I bought it last year. And they work perfectly, compared to stock - the car is a beast now.

I however had the pesky CEL P2261 code, which is now saying the code isn't pending - it's permanent now. Whenever I clear it, restart the car, it's still there.

So I picked up the SXTH Element AV6 BOV, that fixed the hissing sound - now it sounds like the way it should. Still, the CEL remains. So tomorrow, I will be installing the BOV MAC Valve Solenoid...hopefully, that fixes the problem.

So....any way to clear permanent BOV or bypass valve codes? Am I missing something? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sawyer chip? Never heard of it.
These guys, https://www.sawyertuning.com/produc...3-obd-gas-diesel-performance-chip-programmer/

I'm using the ST10 and ST9... Improved my milage, even if I drive the car hard - and the power increase is huge. Had them increase the boost from 14/16psi to 20+. But since I unplugged the chip from the dashboard when I was trying to clear the BOV code again, it reset the chip. When I go for a drive tomorrow, it'll automatically recalibrate.

The ST10 connects to the OBD2 port under the dash, the ST9 connects to the boost sensor.

edit
I used their chips on my old 2016 GT with the 2.0l N/A motor, and they sent me a new one for the 2019 N-Line for free when I traded the 2016 elantra in.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Hmm, yeah I stay clear of boost chips. If you stay in low 20's for boost, that's fine. If it's more like 25psi+, you're going to kill the turbo. Also, you're going to need colder plugs with that thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, yeah I stay clear of boost chips. If you stay in low 20's for boost, that's fine. If it's more like 25psi+, you're going to kill the turbo. Also, you're going to need colder plugs with that thing.
Wait....how would more boost kill the factory turbo? Lack of oil, too high turbo compressor temp, too high propeller RPM?

If anything I would think would go first would be the rods, not the turbo...but I'd prefer the turbo rather than the engine going first...

-
How would I know if I need colder plugs or not? I'm not noticing any high temp issues, or pinging/knock. The engine is running perfectly, only got 12,000 kms on it.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Spinning the turbo too fast. Already seen a couple people toast their turbo's using the AFE Scorcher on race mode, 26+ psi. These are small turbos, that is way out of their efficiency range.

Doesn't matter if it's a boost chip, piggyback or full tune. You're adding boost to increase power. Plugs are needed for a tune, they'll be needed for the other two.

Boost chips are sketchy. It may be cheap power but that's not always the solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts