Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I picked up my fiery red 2017 Elantra SR Turbo (Sport) DCT yesterday and I am loving every moment of breaking her in. I have always wanted a WRX and came very close to purchasing one but could not justify the $15k extra for the WRX Premium ($45k - equivalent of the WRX Limited in the States) over the Elantra Sport price ($30k, DCT and wheel upgrade) in Australia - yes, we get rorted on new cars here! The only options in Australia is manual, DCT and tyre package as it comes with 17 inch as as standard. I really like the look of the stock 18 inch wheels and I wanted to include them in the lease rather than buy aftermarket wheels outright. Strangely, I went for the convenience of the DCT on the Elantra but would never have gone for a auto transmission in the WRX. Hopefully, I don't regret that decision. I am looking forward to seeing what a tune and exhaust does to this vehicle and whether Tork, SEE & other tuners have Australian tuning partners? I live in the Western Australia and it gets pretty hot here for so it will be interesting to see how the turbo performs in the warmer months.
One question - My vehicle came with Pirelli Dragon Spot Tyres, which handled pretty well in the wet today. What are the stock tyres on the US and Canadian version?

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

In Canada we get Hankook noble, 225/40r18. I do believe that Hyundai sets handling to Aussie specific settings for their vehicles sold there. Specific for your roads. That may explain the wheel size difference. Can't imagine your roads being much worse than ours. Ours get busted every spring from frost heaving. I hope you enjoy the car and all the best.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Welcome! I'n in Perth with a white SR Turbo manual, Kinda jelly of the 18" wheels and stickier tyres! I've already done a few things to mine both cosmetic, under the hood and for the audio system... can't fight the bug. As for tuning it seems our options are pretty slim here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome! I'n in Perth with a white SR Turbo manual, Kinda jelly of the 18" wheels and stickier tyres! I've already done a few things to mine both cosmetic, under the hood and for the audio system... can't fight the bug. As for tuning it seems our options are pretty slim here.
Nice! I was looking at speaker upgrades last night. I wouldn't mind some tips on what u did to it. I won't be an early adopter of the power mods but it would be nice at some stage. Loving the ES!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nice! I was looking at speaker upgrades last night. I wouldn't mind some tips on what u did to it. I won't be an early adopter of the power mods but it would be nice at some stage. Loving the ES!
I went into autobarn and got both of these, although the kickers were slightly cheaper again and they did the clarions at ~$114 so I paid 200 ish all up. Put the kickers in the back and clarion splits in the front. It also required some spacers, I can't find them on the site but the sales guy sorted that out they were like 20 bucks too. Was a good 2-3 hours all up to get them installed neatly.

The sound is much louder and clearer now, far beyond what the stock experience was like. Above all voice and mid/highs sound great. The only slight downside is that I feel like since the stock setup ran 4x woofers the low low end bass was slightly deeper on the stock setup, save for the fact that when you cranked it up they started to distort and sound unbearable. So the bass is what I'd call crisper and punchier now.

https://www.autobarn.com.au/me24470
https://www.autobarn.com.au/me23989

1 - 8 of 8 Posts