Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So next week I will be paying off the wife's car. And I will, for the first time in my 32 years, buy a brand new car. I have been looking at cars for months, and an Elantra never even crossed my mind. I was pretty sure I was set on a Sonata. I am coming from a 2003 Honda Civic Si, you know the little mini van looking one. But it's super fun to drive, most of the time. It's a manual and I drive 26 miles each way for work in some pretty dense stop and go traffic. So I am finally done with a manual. So here were my expectations of a new car.

- 4 door
- Automatic trans
- large enough so a full grown man could sit comfortable in the back seat
- comfortable and quiet commute
- good gas mileage and reliable
- a grown up car

To me, that was the Sonata. Especially with that warranty. I wanted an adult car with enough room to comfortably tote around my family of 4, when we are not in the wife's SS Pacifica (it's a boat).Well the problem came, when I test drove the Sonata. And while the Sonata was a nice car to look at and sit in, it was just... bleh. It did nothing for me. It is the most boring car I have ever driven, and I drove an impala for a year. And then I saw the Elantra Sport sitting on the lot. I had never even heard of them before. But it caught my eye and I was very surprised by just how good the car looked. And then the price caught me off guard. No one can touch this package for that money.

Really I just want someone to tell the reasons why this car is a bad idea for me. I think it checks most if not all of my requirements. One of my biggest concerns is, the perceived demographic with this car. Because I have been told multiple times I am too old to be driving around in a civic Si. And I really feel that is true.

If you can't tell, I am very unsure of buying a new car. the longest I have ever kept a car until the Civic was about 6 months. So Buying a new car is truly a 6 year commitment for me. I just don't want to regret my purchase. I need your guidance ES owners.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hello all,

So next week I will be paying off the wife's car. And I will, for the first time in my 32 years, buy a brand new car. I have been looking at cars for months, and an Elantra never even crossed my mind. I was pretty sure I was set on a Sonata. I am coming from a 2003 Honda Civic Si, you know the little mini van looking one. But it's super fun to drive, most of the time. It's a manual and I drive 26 miles each way for work in some pretty dense stop and go traffic. So I am finally done with a manual. So here were my expectations of a new car.

- 4 door
- Automatic trans
- large enough so a full grown man could sit comfortable in the back seat
- comfortable and quiet commute
- good gas mileage and reliable
- a grown up car

To me, that was the Sonata. Especially with that warranty. I wanted an adult car with enough room to comfortably tote around my family of 4, when we are not in the wife's SS Pacifica (it's a boat).Well the problem came, when I test drove the Sonata. And while the Sonata was a nice car to look at and sit in, it was just... bleh. It did nothing for me. It is the most boring car I have ever driven, and I drove an impala for a year. And then I saw the Elantra Sport sitting on the lot. I had never even heard of them before. But it caught my eye and I was very surprised by just how good the car looked. And then the price caught me off guard. No one can touch this package for that money.

Really I just want someone to tell the reasons why this car is a bad idea for me. I think it checks most if not all of my requirements. One of my biggest concerns is, the perceived demographic with this car. Because I have been told multiple times I am too old to be driving around in a civic Si. And I really feel that is true.

If you can't tell, I am very unsure of buying a new car. the longest I have ever kept a car until the Civic was about 6 months. So Buying a new car is truly a 6 year commitment for me. I just don't want to regret my purchase. I need your guidance ES owners.
Not that much room in the back seat. It's fine for 5 adults around town but not long trips. 5 adults on medium trips is fine, so long as one of them is a jockey... or Peter Dinklage.
Basically, this is a short-medium range 'fun' car. Not a plush cruiser.
I love it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have you looked at the Elantra Limited? That Elantra is more focussed on creature comforts vs. performance. Also, I would definitely recommend a test drive with the DCT-equipped ES and then compare that to the Elantra Limited with the automatic - especially in stop-and-go traffic. There are complaints against the DCT on lurching behavior. Some people don't mind it, but this is a long term commitment so you should definitely be aware.

I'm coming from AMG and Audi S so I get the "perceived demographic" issue. But as many have stated on this forum, there's quite a few "older folks" than people realize (I'm in my mid-40s myself). I think a big part of that is due to the fact that the ES doesn't explicitly look like a "ricer" like the Sentra Nismo or Civic Si. It definitely has a strong Euro design that I really like. If you pick a subdued color like silver or grey and debadge the text in the rear, it would pass as an Audi A3 variant easily.

Good luck! For me I was tired of driving an automatic and I don't have to deal with stop-and-go traffic so getting a manual was a requirement for me. I also like vibrant colors and Electric Blue fits the bill. I'm really enjoying the ES!

Reactions: Petabytes

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Too old for an Si at 32? I'm 33 and my car isn't exactly quiet and I could care less what people think lol. Buy what YOU want.

The seats are comfortable, the suspension is firm but not harsh, and fuel mileage is hit or miss. Depends on your commute. When I got my car I was averaging 34mpg on a weekly basis (my commute is mostly 60mph cruising to/from work) but lately with a heavier foot, winter fuel and sticky/wider tires I have dropped to ~30mpg. Most people are beating the EPA ratings.

With that said, it flies under the radar quite easily.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
First - welcome to the ES forums!!

Second - don't let anyone tell you what you should or shouldn't do at any particular age. I'll be 50 this year and I'm driving an ES that's lightly modded. Last year I traded in a '14 Veloster Turbo that was full bolt-ons and tuned and was a blast to drive. I'm in Central Texas - none of the youngsters at the car meets gave a **** about my VT. The only people who cared were old cowboys/dirt track stock car racers - so these cars definitely aren't for kids.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Demographic? Maaaan don't let that be the deciding factor. You know how many "young" guys I see driving elantra sports? 0, Ive only seen one in my area and it's mine lol. I'm not particularly old (28) but demographic really means nothing, this car flies so low under the radar that most people except import guys won't know what this cars about.

And I've gotten more questions about it rather than being razzed for having it. Friend of mine has an M3 and an 04 cobra and he drove it and said it was a very fun car, especially for something that you can drive everyday.

FWIW, I came from driving the previous generation of Elantra (MD) and that demographic is mainly old ladies and teenage girls in my area LOL.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd say look at the Honda Accord Sport 1.5 model. Checks off everything you need. Has a CVT for the auto transmission so not sure if that's an issue or not. Much more room than the Elantra Sport. High mpg's. Like posted above, don't worry about what other people think about your car.

As far as pricing, Honda dealers are offering $1000 Flex Cash. 4 door sedans are getting crushed these days. I had a quote of $22,750 for a manual 1.5 Accord Sport before the $1000 flex cash. Who knows how low they will go as Honda is really dealing these days.

Just another option for you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'd say look at the Honda Accord Sport 1.5 model. Checks off everything you need. Has a CVT for the auto transmission so not sure if that's an issue or not. Much more room than the Elantra Sport. High mpg's. Like posted above, don't worry about what other people think about your car.
Except the Accord is quite a bit more expensive and CVT leaves a lot to be desired when looking for a car you want to have fun while driving. Nothing wrong with the DCT in the sport.

Reactions: Voodoo Idol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Except the Accord is quite a bit more expensive and CVT leaves a lot to be desired when looking for a car you want to have fun while driving. Nothing wrong with the DCT in the sport.
I'm just saying the Accord Sport fits his checklist one by one. Sans the transmission. IF he wants a DCT then it's a no brainer and go for the Elantra Sport. If he doesn't care, then he should look into the Accord. More expensive yes. They usually are and don't have massive rebates like Hyundai. This $1000 Honda flex cash is pretty rare from what I've been reading. Shows how slow their sales are. Though I've been tracking Hyundai Elantra Sport pricing for a full year and right at the end of 2017 was the best time to buy. $500 holiday cash which is now gone. $3000 Hyundai rebate which is now reduced to $2500. Massive dealer discounts end of the year which have now risen by $500-$1000 or more. It's like a $3000 plus difference now over just a month ago. That's a huge difference.

If he wants to fit 5 people in his car and be comfortable for trips, the Accord is probably the better choice.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The only thing I have a slight tinge of buyers remorse with this car is that it isn't a 2017 Mazda 3 Hatch. I REALLY wanted a hatch that I could afford and I didn't like how the Elantra GT Sport enough to wait for it. I know theres the Golf but that was out of my price range for what I wanted. I'd say look into Mazda (more so the 6) if space is a great issue for you, I looked into this as one of my top options. Other than the fact that I dont have a hatch that I think looks great, I'd say the ES (Elantra Sport) is a good option. I like the heated seats that I use to loosen up my back when its stiff, the leather seats, and the power over the previous cars I'd owned. I do wish it was effortless to get 35 mpg like some of my other cars but the ES is still great on gas.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The only thing I have a slight tinge of buyers remorse with this car is that it isn't a 2017 Mazda 3 Hatch. I REALLY wanted a hatch that I could afford and I didn't like how the Elantra GT Sport enough to wait for it. I know theres the Golf but that was out of my price range for what I wanted. I'd say look into Mazda (more so the 6) if space is a great issue for you, I looked into this as one of my top options. Other than the fact that I dont have a hatch that I think looks great, I'd say the ES (Elantra Sport) is a good option. I like the heated seats that I use to loosen up my back when its stiff, the leather seats, and the power over the previous cars I'd owned. I do wish it was effortless to get 35 mpg like some of my other cars but the ES is still great on gas.
I just went to the DC auto show last week. Was VERY impressed with the Mazda 3 interior. They had the higher end models of course. But darn that's a great interior all around! Very upscale. The back seat though seemed cramped. I also liked the Elantra GT. Seemed much nicer than the Elantra Sport. Plastics seemed higher end. Am I crazy on this? I liked the Elantra GT's infotainment center better. Though I know a lot of people hate it. Too bad they don't allow the higher package with a manual on the Elantra GT.

I wish Mazda would turbo their engines like other manufacturers are doing. I know their NA engines are great. But I like turbos for the low end grunt. I know next year they come out with some freaky NA engine that's supposedly awesome. Should be interesting.

The looks on the Mazda 3 are ugh to me. Sometimes it looks great and sometimes it's too out there depending on the angle. Both hatch and sedan. They do have an incredible dark silver color that's amazing. And I'm not a fan of silver in any shade.

·
Registered
343 Posts
first - welcome to the es forums!!

Second - don't let anyone tell you what you should or shouldn't do at any particular age. I'll be 50 this year and i'm driving an es that's lightly modded. Last year i traded in a '14 veloster turbo that was full bolt-ons and tuned and was a blast to drive. I'm in central texas - none of the youngsters at the car meets gave a **** about my vt. The only people who cared were old cowboys/dirt track stock car racers - so these cars definitely aren't for kids.
1968 baby!

Reactions: Voodoo Idol

·
Registered
76 Posts
The new Accords are very nice cars. I didn't want a car that large, though. I traded a 14 Mazda3 SGT for this ES.

The DCT is fine as long as you go into with the right expectations. This is not an automatic transmission and does not behave like one. The car behaves like a manual transmission car with someone really good behind the wheel operating the clutch. That said, there are times it shudders like a manual at low speeds and other little glitches.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
The new Accords are very nice cars. I didn't want a car that large, though. I traded a 14 Mazda3 SGT for this ES.

The DCT is fine as long as you go into with the right expectations. This is not an automatic transmission and does not behave like one. The car behaves like a manual transmission car with someone really good behind the wheel operating the clutch. That said, there are times it shudders like a manual at low speeds and other little glitches.
Normal DCT affair. Even VW/Audi DCT's are clunky.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.