Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. Not an ES owner but ive been browsing these forums for several months now. Im coming to a point in time of wanting to replace my current daily driver of over 5 years (moderately modded 01 tdi jetta) and i really want something thats much faster than my jetta but in stock form, and with a warranty. Im kind of stuck between the 6 speed ES and the Focus ST. I really dont like hatchbacks but id really like that extra 50 horsepower and subsequent acceleration the focus has to offer. Ive read a topic here where a couple people came over from ST's. Of course im going to get biased responses by posting on an ES forum but id appreciate any input on the matter from people that actually own these cars. Im all ears!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey all. Not an ES owner but ive been browsing these forums for several months now. Im coming to a point in time of wanting to replace my current daily driver of over 5 years (moderately modded 01 tdi jetta) and i really want something thats much faster than my jetta but in stock form, and with a warranty. Im kind of stuck between the 6 speed ES and the Focus ST. I really dont like hatchbacks but id really like that extra 50 horsepower and subsequent acceleration the focus has to offer. Ive read a topic here where a couple people came over from ST's. Of course im going to get biased responses by posting on an ES forum but id appreciate any input on the matter from people that actually own these cars. Im all ears!
I was in same position as you, I test drove an ST. The ST is not that much faster. I believe it's slightly heavier. For it came down to reliability hands down the Elantra has the advantage and more comfortable. At the end it's your decision! Good luck!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was considering the Focus ST as well. For me, the overall look of the ES (interior and exterior) won me over the ST. The great warranty that Hyundai offers is a huge advantage as well. If you plan to mod though, I'd go for the ST. Personally I prefer wagon/hatchback as it much more versatile, so for me to choose the ES over the ST was pretty significant. It didn't help that the Elantra GT Sport just isn't as good looking as the ES sedan (IMO) although the upcoming Elantra GT N line does look nice and you should consider it.

Finding a 2017-18 ES may be a bit difficult though as they are not very common, especially with a manual transmission.

Good luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Believe it or not, there are still a few brand new 17s and 18s sitting around at dealer lots. One red 2017 in new york that comes to mind. Id just worry about 2 years of lot rot on it. I do think the new design is hideous but the jewel eye headlights might win me over, if i can get a confirmation if theyre actually better long-range than the 17 or 18 models. I made a post in the exterior section about that.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Believe it or not, there are still a few brand new 17s and 18s sitting around at dealer lots. One red 2017 in new york that comes to mind. Id just worry about 2 years of lot rot on it. I do think the new design is hideous but the jewel eye headlights might win me over, if i can get a confirmation if theyre actually better long-range than the 17 or 18 models. I made a post in the exterior section about that.

If it is sitting that long, I'd push to have the dealer replace the tires as a requirement for closing the sale.

HIDs are actually brighter and have better long range illumination vs. LEDs if that is your concern.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im no novice to the lighting world, and i agree that typically thats been the case. If they designed the bowl around the LEDs then results can vary drastically. The 19s have 4 projectors per side, 2 for low and 2 for high. If they have been focused to a 10 degree spread on them (or less) then they will be phenominal. But thats information i dont have.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Bump, anyone else have anything to chime in on pros and cons of these cars against others of similar performance?
I own an 18 ES. I find for the pricing you can not beat an ES. I have the premium package and love the heated seats and steering wheel (I believe Hyundai was the only ones on the market with heating steering wheels until the CRV started getting it this year) but for a brand new car at 30k Canadian and getting a tune for 1G pushing about 260HP stock it's hard to beat for the pricing! The look and practicality of having 4 doors is great! Having the customer service and reliability of Hyundai is spectacular! Plus it's a great feeling driving something not everyone knows of. If you're ever able to go for a test drive in the premium package elantra and feel how you enjoy it :)

Like others said it is a preference for your part but whatever you get keep us posted :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So i went out today and finally test drove a focus st, since i had never gotten the experience to. I guess the only part about it that i didnt like compared to the elantra is the fact that it feels like youre sitting in a larger car. It's hard to explain, but i prefer the elantra as far as the driver positioning and point of view goes. As far as performance, the ST was great. Ill have to get behind the wheel of an ES again to get a more recent comparison.

·
Registered
23 Posts
All 3 are good choices. But I like the ES because it surprises people. Make sure to get the paint protected with a ceramic coating. My '17 still looks brand new. Whereas my '14 ES paint had started to lose luster at the same age but I'm a bit anal about that. Only traded in because of the model improvements.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
All 3 are good choices. But I like the ES because it surprises people. Make sure to get the paint protected with a ceramic coating. My '17 still looks brand new. Whereas my '14 ES paint had started to lose luster at the same age but I'm a bit anal about that. Only traded in because of the model improvements.
PPF on the front, and THEN ceramic coat. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.