Elantra Sport Forum banner

What should my first mod be?

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I'm a new ES owner and am a "long time listener, first time caller" in the fact that I've been reading this forum since way before I bought the vehicle, and I've finally got myself registered. My dream is to meet R1600Turbo since he seems to be super helpful to everybody and I just noticed that he lives in my home state.

I'm going for a very clean build aesthetically with light modding to get a few more ponies so I would be interested to hear recommendations so I can create a "build map" of sorts for best bang for buck mods and create a plan since I will only be able to purchase a mod or two every so often due to budgetary restrictions from the CFO in my household. ;)
Again, I'm looking for low-key sleeper status so I may not do much to the exhaust or get a BOV, etc.

I've always been a huge car fan but am newer to actually working on my car and doing any sort of modding, so I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions.
Previously I've owned a fully modded '01 Lexus IS300, '08 Honda Accord, '12 Mercedes C250, '15 Toyota Corolla and a few others.

I live in Gilbert, AZ with my wife and 2 sons and work in banking. Aside from being a huge car fan, I also play guitar and drums and have been playing in bands, writing, producing and teaching music for most of my life.

A few years ago I deleted all of my social media, but I did create an Instagram account for my vehicle since I've found Instagram to be a great platform for finding inspiration since it's a photo-based community. You can find me and follow me at @ghost.elantra.

I'm looking forward to meeting you and learning more about the Elantra Sport

Thanks!
Roman "Ghost"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome man!

For my own build map I'm prioritizing what I want to add most first (lite daily driving fun with some backroad carving sprinkled in), as well as considering what mods I can get individually, and which ones I need to save up to get as a bundle (Am hoping to get wheels, tires, and brakes all at the same time next year) for performance mods I'm sure @R1600Turbo, @Voodoo Idol , and others can definitely get you started.

Are you also planning to ever autocross your ES?

Can't wait to see more pics of how your build goes!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome man!

For my own build map I'm prioritizing what I want to add most first (lite daily driving fun with some backroad carving sprinkled in), as well as considering what mods I can get individually, and which ones I need to save up to get as a bundle (Am hoping to get wheels, tires, and brakes all at the same time next year) for performance mods I'm sure @R1600Turbo, @Voodoo Idol , and others can definitely get you started.

Are you also planning to ever autocross your ES?

Can't wait to see more pics of how your build goes!

I hear you there. For now I painted my stocks wheels black but will eventually replace everything like you said once I need new tires. I've been looking around and I think I'll go with AV-20 by Avid.1 or something similar. Not sure which tires yet.

I originally purchased the car to be a mix of commuter but can also do double-duty as a fun weekender, but now with everyone working from home I really won't be commuting too much so I think I could realistically get it in shape to autocross. I've never done it before, but I think that would be really fun. I ordered a SXTH short-ram intake and the intercooler resonator delete pipe, and will attempt to install this weekend

So far with aesthetics this is where I'm at:

X - Debadge "Elantra" and "Sport" and all dealer stickers and license plate, replaced with black license plate and blacked out Hyundai Badge
X - Limo tint
X - M&S grille swap
X- VelossaTech big mouth snorkel (painted white)
X - Lowered (on Eibach Pro sport springs)
X - Black lip spoiler ($50 on eBay)
- I've purchased a front lip diffuser, black sideskirts and black rear canard winglets but have not installed them... yet... still debating on looking too ricer/sporty with the added plastic
- Have an appointment to do a black vinyl roof, chrome delete, and lite tint film on the rear lights as well as black out the rear deflector

The SXTH SRI and IRDP will be the first engine mods and then I'm not really sure exactly what to do next. Possibly the catch cans. Maybe look at some sort of chip tuning or piggyback tune.

I'm trying to stay patient and enjoy the journey, instead of rushing to the destination.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure I'll be at the KDM meet on Friday.
Awesome, I'm 50/50 if I can make it but if I do I'd love to say hi. Are you on the instant grahams at all?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@R1600Turbo I actually just realized you're Jason from Casa Grande. I met the other Jason (with the K3) at the last meet and he was telling me about you. Didn't realize who he was talking about is R1600Turbo AND j_tube571... thought it was 3 different people. Anyway... open mouth, insert foot.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The SXTH SRI and IRDP will be the first engine mods and then I'm not really sure exactly what to do next. Possibly the catch cans. Maybe look at some sort of chip tuning or piggyback tune.
Skip the IRDP and save for the full hot pipe instead.

As far as tuning goes, if you go piggyback keep it to JB4 or Lap3 ProTuner. Nothing else is worth it and boost chips that only fool the car into thinking it's not running full boost are sketchy.

@R1600Turbo I actually just realized you're Jason from Casa Grande. I met the other Jason (with the K3) at the last meet and he was telling me about you. Didn't realize who he was talking about is R1600Turbo AND j_tube571... thought it was 3 different people. Anyway... open mouth, insert foot.
That's me. I had a medical issue before the last one so couldn't make it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So how much of a pain in the butt was installing the M&S grille for you? I'm just teasing lol

But I totally get holding off on the other visual mods until you've got more performance so it doesn't feel too ricey. I keep having to tell myself to look away from that section of EBay until I've added my SRI and exhaust at least. Though with exception to a V-trunk spoiler I'm eyeballing right now. If you do decide to autocross, I'd recommend getting a rear sway bar for sure (most don't add the front, so money "saved" there lol)

I agree that the IRDP isn't significant in changing your car's performance at all (it felt borderline placebo). If you've NEVER been "handy" before like me its a pretty easy and fun way to spend some time under your car. But since you already grille swapped and installed the Big Mouth, you'll knock it out quick.

Might want to consider having replacement push retainers ready, I ordered these and they match: Amazon.com: Rexka Fender Liner Push-Type Retainers Compatible with Hyundai 86595-2T500 Equus Genesis Santa Fe (Pack of 20): Automotive

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
The Eibach springs are pretty harsh because they're linear and not progressive. I would recommend the Storm springs if you want to the spring route. And you should absolutely do a rear sway bar at the same time or ASAP afterwards. My rear sway bar, aside from the tune, is hands down the best bang-for-your-buck mod that you'll do to this car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts