Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of modding an import but I've owned several elantras and I've been patiently waiting for an actual sport version. Im not a kid, I'm in my 30's so I was looking for a quick little car that I could possibly tinker with a little without being obnoxious or voiding my warranty. Can anyone help me out and point me in the direction of some sensible yet rewarding modifications that will make this little beast even more fun to drive? Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am sure others will pitch in and I am probably not a big help since I am new to modding too. But there seems to be two main companies that are putting out parts for the ES right now.

Select a Category | DamnFastDD.com - Tyson is a frequent poster here and is always very helpful whether it is about their parts or questions about the car or cars in general

Hyundai Elantra Sport - Sixth Element is a frequent poster too and they are very helpful. Both have great customer service and they are both developing an ECU tune.

A hand full of people have installed an intake system on here so you should be able to fine reviews and pictures of them.

All I have done is a K&N airfilter and I will be installing my intercooler resonator delete pipe this week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen them both listed on here and I'm basically on the same path you're on. Im looking to make the exhaust a little more aggressive but I don't want to me a cop magnet. I know the vehicle is fairly new so upgrades will probably come with time. What I'm really curious about is whether or not a tune is worth doing with mostly stock parts. Anyone have experience with this?

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the ES forums!!

As far as tuning with mostly stock parts... yes, any car will benefit from a tune. A lot of people back in the Veloster Turbo world got "stage 0" tunes, which is basically just making the factory tune more driveable. It generally improves throttle response and eliminates some of the stuttering and hesitation that you see on WOT pulls with everything bone stock. I'm pretty sure both Tork and 6EE are working on tunes, and both have done stage 0 tunes for the Velosters, so I'm certain that they'll have them for this car as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome to the boards! Do you already have the ES or are you planning on it and trying to get a feel of what mods are available so far?

I agree, I would start with the tune but changing anything and worrying about warranty, it all depends on how cheeky your dealership wants to be. Yes they have to prove it if questionable BUT it's a tedious process to deal with.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of modding an import but I've owned several elantras and I've been patiently waiting for an actual sport version. Im not a kid, I'm in my 30's so I was looking for a quick little car that I could possibly tinker with a little without being obnoxious or voiding my warranty. Can anyone help me out and point me in the direction of some sensible yet rewarding modifications that will make this little beast even more fun to drive? Thanks
Welcome! the aftermarket is going to be pretty awesome for this car and we are doing everything we can.

You can look at our current line up on our website - www.sxthelement.com

In my forum signature, we are working on a bunch of stuff! Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I've been doing a bit of reading, i guess lurking around this site before I actually joined but I have a few questions. Regarding intakes, recirculation and BOV's is there an advantage to having the recirc. line rather than the BOV? Also, I've seen a boost control solenoid which is supposed to be better for harder driving but what about just around town or short stretches of highway? I'm really not looking to make any major changes, just want to basically pick the low hanging fruit and get some more bang out of this little car. It's already really fun to drive but like most guys I need to mess around with the car a little. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So on the big gulp intake where it says that fittings for recirc and bov not included what does that mean? I'm really not familiar with turbos and have really only ever worked on vehicles that didn't have computers so this is all new to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So in this situation would it be better to install an aftermarket bov? I don't want the car to sound like crap. Maybe it would be best for me so just say this. I want to do the intake, boost solenoid, remove the resonator from both the turbo and exhaust and possibly replace the stock muffler with a flowmaster. I'd prefer it to have a rumble rather than that tin can fart sound.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
The stock one doesnt sound terrible with the hose off.
I'd say that's a matter of personal opinion. Which, in my opinion, I hated it. But with it connected to the intake it does sound better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts