Elantra Sport Forum banner

New winter wheels and tires

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ClownSlap 
#1 ·
Here's my new set up for winter: Sumitomo Ice Edge tires (205/50-17) on Core Racing Impulse wheels, both purchased from Kal Tire.

I've had good experience with Michelin X-Ice tires in the past, but because the Sumitomos were rated as having better dry pavement handling than the Michelins (while being equal on snow and ice) I decided to get them. The choice of alloy rims instead of cheaper steel wheels is based on the fact that the winter wheels will be in use for 5-6 months a year (from late October to April). Having unattractive steel wheels on the car for that period of time doesn't appeal to me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the black finish on the Core Racing rims will stand up to winter driving conditions.

So far, my experience with the Sumitomos is limited to dry pavement. As expected, they are noisier than the OE all seasons, but absorb rough pavement better because of the taller sidewall. I will post my impressions of how they perform on snow and ice after winter arrives.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good! I hear you on needing the Winter tires on for that long. I had steelies on my '13 Veloster Turbo for a season and I couldn't stand it. Since then I've used aftermarket rims for the Summer and stock rims for Winter on my past couple of cars.

I don't know if I've heard of those tires before, but curious how they are.

#3 ·
I just installed a new set Nexen Winguard Sport 2 winter tires (225/45/17) on Advan wheels for about three weeks. Since it's the second generation of the Nexen Winguard Sport model series. quite new and not much existing reviews on Google. So just wanted to have a try.

- made in Korea.
- low budget cost tires. Only a little bit more than the very cheap Chinese brand tires.
- fast, quiet and comfortable comparing with the normal winter tires.
- good wet performance.
- a little bit understeer during dry.
- still waiting the snow fall for the real snow performance.

Let me know if you also want to try. I got referral in GTA Canada with very low price.

#4 ·
HI Jaygee, and petabytes. I just got my 2018 Elantra sport here in Canada a few months ago. looking for winter tire/rims combo.
the rims you have on have no issue with clearance of front brakes? what is the offset of the wheels?
I am thinking about 18 inch allows for winter use, but then tire prices are $$ and would hope for a taller side wall with 17" wheels.

petabytes- which advanced wheels do you have? Im in Burlington Ontario.

#8 ·
I don't recommend to buy used wheels unless you really know the exact condition and history record. Many blended or not round wheels which you can't notice from outside. If you mount it to the balance machine, you can see the defective and blended condition. This is my experience and also told by my tire shop guys. Only used tire without damage before and not old age is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.