Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am new to this forum, so please don't flame me too badly... Second, I am not completely new to Turbos, but not advanced by any means. Prior to my 2020 ES DCT, I had a 2017 Value Edition Elantra, and prior to that, I had a 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP. Both of my parents drive VW GTIs.

My question: Anyone in here actually HEAR the turbo spinning up? Even running to redline in Sport Mode, I literally never hear the turbo spinning up, much less feel it kick in. I realize this is not a Solstice or GTI...but not even a whisper of whine(windows up or down)? Granted, the exhaust gets MUCH louder and it will certainly get up and go...but I feel like my old 2017 with the 2.0 IDT had better pull in Sport Mode. Am I crazy, or is something actually wrong? I hesitate to take it to the dealership, because the closest dealership to me is almost 2hrs drive away. I figured I would ask in here before making that trek to setup a Service, and then make the trek again when I can get it scheduled (online appointment calendar is hosed and the phone just rings and rings).

I have seen some videos on youtube regarding performance upgrades for the ES, and most of them get the popping of the exhaust after hard acceleration...which I have also never heard. It is almost like the turbo is never engaging...which is concerning. The lack of power also suggests that the turbo is not functioning. I just wanted to hear others before crying foul to the dealership.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's a very quiet factory turbo. Every so often with the radio off and a smooth road I'll hear it. If u want it to be louder get an aftermarket blow off valve

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
It's still an economy car and the turbo is small so with all the NVH stuff on the car you won't really hear it unless you do something to change that. Adding a blow off valve will only give you the "pshhh" when you let off the gas. If you want to hear the turbo spool you need an aftermarket intake or downpipe.

Easiest way to see if the turbo is working fine is to get a cheap bluetooth OBD reader from Amazon, download the TorquePro app (assuming you have an android phone) and see what kind of boost pressure it's putting out. Can range anywhere from 14-18psi depending on conditions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts