Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I just picked up my ES last week or so. Recently I decided to check to see if my navigation maps were up-to-date. They are not. I'm currently running NAM.09.47.44.543.001.1. I asked the dealer why I didn't get the latest version and they said that was the latest version. However, when I go to

2017 Hyundai Elantra Map Update-115S59 - Map Updates

I see that the latest version is NAM.10.47.43.712. The map update costs $169 lol.

I did some searching and saw that in the EU, the map updates are free:

https://www.hyundai.news/eu/brand/know-where-to-go-hyundai-offers-free-lifetime-mapcaretm/

I guess us North America folks are not so lucky. I guess I should just forget the factory nav system and stick with Android Auto and use Google Maps/Waze instead? Would like ES forum members to give their two cents on this.

I'm new to Android Auto, but it seems pretty cleanly integrated. I've used the factory nav system and it works fine but if Google Maps or Waze is better with the headunit I will just stick with that.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Hyundai has never given free map updates in the U.S.

I had really bad luck with MAPNSOFT with my VT. I could never load the maps from the USB drive they sent me and they could never figure out why.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hyundai has never given free map updates in the U.S.

I had really bad luck with MAPNSOFT with my VT. I could never load the maps from the USB drive they sent me and they could never figure out why.
Thanks Voodoo Idol - I figured as much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
and this is why i bought a base model and use android auto with google maps, plus im super used to using google maps for travelling on foot around cities. stick to what im used to. lol

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and this is why i bought a base model and use android auto with google maps, plus im super used to using google maps for travelling on foot around cities. stick to what im used to. lol
I use waze fairly often - the core issue is when you're travelling and you lose mobile data. At that point you're restricted to what is cached in your phone's memory - that's it.

And yes, I have physical maps on me at all times as well - just in case...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use waze fairly often - the core issue is when you're travelling and you lose mobile data. At that point you're restricted to what is cached in your phone's memory - that's it.

And yes, I have physical maps on me at all times as well - just in case...
What's in the cache should be fine though. As long as you received directions before the data went out, it will guide you the entire way. Though without police reports with no data. What's going to change during a trip? Waze updates the maps regularly.

Shouldn't these be updated before they leave the lot on a new vehicle? Seems pretty ridiculous to have a maps bill while driving home from the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The real time data maybe an issue, but if you use Google maps just download offline maps for the area that you are going to be in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts