Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys.
Sometimes when i shift in first gear, i ear a 'thump' noise.It only happens with the first, and not everytime. If im at a complete stop when i shift it does not happens. But if i just slowed down for a stop and shift in first while rolling i can hear and feel it underneath.
Its not a grinding noise, just like something moving and knocking, just a small bump.

Is this normal? I dont remember having this issue when i first got the car, or maybe i was more carefull.

Should i be worried and talk to the mechanic about this?
I have been driving stick for years and i dont remember having this issue before.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Like really close to a full stop, just to be ready to restart fast, so i roll to a stop breaks on, clutch at 10k/hour or less and shift in 1st before a full stop, then i hear a clunk when shifting.

edit: i mean i engage the first gear and i hear the noise when moving the shifter in first while the cluch is fully pressed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You should just wait until the car is fully stopped or stay in second gear because first gear doesn’t have a syncro to match the speed of the wheels when the car is rolling. I’ve had cars that lock you out of 1st until you fully stop or will grind a bit

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I find that if I need to get into first gear while still rolling very slowly, I don't just try to shove it into gear. Just put enough pressure on the shifter and let it slide in itself when it is ready.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks Edsonvin, ill try that.
Just to be clear, i dont release the clutch until im at a full stop, im just preparing to be in first gear and ready to go after the stop.
Yeah I figured that’s what you were doing. Even without letting the clutch out just the force needed to be put into 1st gear while rolling isn’t pleasant in most cars. It should always be a smooth easy throw

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.