Elantra Sport Forum banner

Noisy Suspension

40K views 91 replies 23 participants last post by  elantra_turbo81 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone encountered noisy suspension on their car? My ES now has 10.5k miles on it, and it has developed a groaning/popping noise when the wheel is turned right on clover-leaf entrance/exit ramps. The sound usually triggers around 30-35 mph; seems like that's the sweet spot when there is enough load on the components.

The dealer looked at it and heard the noise on a test drive. Told me to bring the car back when a service loaner is available, but it will be a hard problem to diagnose... (my local dealer has already let me down on a separate issue that they cannot isolate)

Any thought on what might be worn/failing? I have a library of videos I'd be happy to share so you guys can take a listen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/132D5hNO93Tquaw4UeT-IfLdG2uHY7n86/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eji5LdKXig_WWKEQFXWT6q0cFThDu8rj/view?usp=sharing

#3 ·
Similar problem

Has anyone encountered noisy suspension on their car? My ES now has 10.5k miles on it, and it has developed a groaning/popping noise when the wheel is turned right on clover-leaf entrance/exit ramps. The sound usually triggers around 30-35 mph; seems like that's the sweet spot when there is enough load on the components.

The dealer looked at it and heard the noise on a test drive. Told me to bring the car back when a service loaner is available, but it will be a hard problem to diagnose... (my local dealer has already let me down on a separate issue that they cannot isolate)

Any thought on what might be worn/failing? I have a library of videos I'd be happy to share so you guys can take a listen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/132D5hNO93Tquaw4UeT-IfLdG2uHY7n86/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eji5LdKXig_WWKEQFXWT6q0cFThDu8rj/view?usp=sharing
I'm having a very similar problem on my 2017 Elantra Sport DCT. On right turns, I hear a clunking noise coming from underneath the car. Never on left turns. It's actually more noticeable at slower speeds, and it seems to be right when you turn in. I'm sure the dealer won't be able to figure it out since it's intermittent, so I guess I'm just going to wait for it to get worse. Hopefully something will actually fail and make it obvious, without putting me in any danger.

#6 ·
I'm having a very similar problem on my 2017 Elantra Sport DCT. On right turns, I hear a clunking noise coming from underneath the car. Never on left turns. It's actually more noticeable at slower speeds, and it seems to be right when you turn in. I'm sure the dealer won't be able to figure it out since it's intermittent, so I guess I'm just going to wait for it to get worse. Hopefully something will actually fail and make it obvious, without putting me in any danger.
The dealer gave up on mine. They said it was going to have to get worse. Under the direction of the dealer's apathetic service manager, I'm in the process of starting a ticket with Hyundai Consumer Affairs. Apparently, they will send out a tech who knows the car top to bottom and has a better shot at diagnosing the issue. This is crazy how the car can make such a racket, but everyone acts like their hands are tied! I'll keep you guys posted.

#5 ·
Mines in now for exactly this issue. I have 23000kms and it started a few months ago. It was in a month or so ago but due to winter weather it was hard to diagnose. Hopefully this time they can sort it out. I'll keep you posted. It sounds like it comes from the right rear, only on right turns, more prominent at 20-40kms/h. They suspect sway bar but we'll see.

#7 ·
Nearly 22k miles, I do not have this issue. And I have put the car in the position of severe cornering several times. Now, I do have a weird vibration in the brake pedal while trail braking into a right hand corner, but never looked into it.

#14 ·
So the little squeaking I hear when I make my right turns is all due to an engine mount?? How long did this whole process take you? My spring break is here but I don't want to be without my car for too long.

#18 ·
Do you think I could get away with going to my dealership and saying I think its this part? I don't have much time to be without my car for two weeks, I doubt they'd give me a loner for that time.

#20 ·
I would ask. I had a Tuscan SUV loaner from the dealer for the whole 2 weeks. They were really great. Maybe if they see the tech notes I posted they would know where to start looking. The service manager gave me the techs name so I could personally thank him. Gotta love when warranty works in your favour.

#21 ·
Anyone else have this fixed? I'm pretty sure my car has this issue, makes a noise only in bumpy right turns.

#22 ·
Negative, Ghost Rider. I took my car in on Thursday and they could not replicate nor could I when I took them for a drive. I showed him the notes but he didn't do much about it. The tech asked if I could leave the car and I said yeah, I just needed something to drive in the meantime but the service agent just came and gave me my paperwork and keys.

#27 ·
I to have a similar issue. Only happens when turning right at slow speeds over a bumpy surface. Noise is coming from right side. It started around the 9000 km mark. I thought it was possibly due to cold weather. Hasn't quite warmed up yet, had a few days of 5-7C, but it still made that squeeky/clunky noise at that temperature. Thinking of taking it in to dealership but sounds like techs have been having issues solving the problem.

#28 ·
I'd say its more in finding it to begin with. If I was able to find a bumpy enough right turn, I would have made the noise but they didn't seem like they wanted to help me anyways.

#34 ·
Mines been quiet through a hard 3k miles.

My 2016 Elantra SE however made noises right out of the dealership lol.

#37 ·
#38 ·
#42 ·
Just heard back from the dealer again.

They've consulted with the Hyundai engineering tech line and they want to replace the motor mount.

Hmmm. Is it a body seam? Strut bolt? Motor mount? No one knows!

#47 ·
Got the car back from the dealer, they replaced the passenger side motor mount per the Hyundai field service engineer.

The used the "chassis ears" on lower passenger front front fender weld, upper fender weld, body near strut mount, and body near engine mount on passenger side. They found the noise most pronounced by passenger side motor mount.

The part # is 21810-F3100, bracket assembly-engine.

Curious if this is a revised part # or the same part.

I don't beat on my car and it's 100% stock so there really shouldn't be any reason for the engine mount to go bad.

Anyway, so far, so good. I haven't heard the noise again, but it's only been one day.

#49 ·
Just last night while waiting in the drive thru I was turning my steering wheel left and right to see if I hear any noises.
Turning to the left I hear nothing but turning to the right mid turn I hear a very noticeable click. Is this what y'all are talking about ?
Could this be the same issue ?
I can't really hear while driving but I'm sure it's there lol any feedback would be helpful
Thanks

#50 ·
So, took my car in to the dealership a couple of months ago. Told them it could possibly be a motor mount, as mentioned in the forum. They checked it and determined it was the right side motor mount. Had to get the part shipped over seas from Korea. Took my car in, they replaced it. No more noise. Yay!

#51 ·
I have a 2017 SE, 10,000 mi. Clunking noise only on right turns, only in morning when first driven. Weather not a factor. Had it in they replaced R strut. Still making noise & they are able to confirm. I have a 2018 rental while they keep looking. It is doing the same! Not feeling good about this

#52 ·
I have the same issue. I first noticed it Oct 20th, as that day I installed my SXTH FMIC and SXTH Rear Sway Bar. Both those items are pretty straightforward to install. I did not that that day was one of the first days it was cooler weather wise. I had installed Meccatunes on June 9th, and the first time the car was lifted of it's wheels was for the installation of the FMIC and Sway (had oil change done, but it was a drive on ramp).

I had brought the car back to my installer (custom exhaust shop, who does intercoolers etc) and we checked the car top to bottom. Meccatunes all good, FMIC not touching anything and looking perfect and rear sway all good. Just a coincidence that a noise developed literally just after the car was off the hoist.

The noise that I have is exactly as the videos and comments made. My car has about 18,000K and it started Oct 20th (at least I noticed it then), and it pretty much does it when I turn right at low speeds regardless of the road condition (smooth/bumpy). The speed is around 20-30Kms. If I drive in a circle (like in a parking lot), it's makes a ton of noise. It also seems to be more pronounced when it's colder. Right not the temperature is getting colder, but in the last few weeks we reached 14 degrees C and it was less pronounced. So is it the strut mount, motor mount or the welds? I'd like to resolve it before getting to the dealer, who may create more problems.

#53 ·
I ended up removing my SXTH rear sway bar yesterday, with all the links etc., only to learn that the noise is still there. I had to factor the sway bar upgrade out, since the noise started right after I had the bar installed. So, it's definitely not the sway bar.

I've posted on the facebook group as well, and there are several others with this issue. I hope we can work together to find out what it is.

#57 ·
This morning it was pretty cold outside. -6 C. I bounced the car up and down (hard to do, since it's pretty stiff), and no noise. I grabbed the frame area where the airbox would go and pushed down and pulled up to see if I could get any noise, and there was no noise whatsoever. I also grabbed my engine from the passenger side and moved it front and back to see if I could here any noise from that passenger side motor mount, and no noise.

I did notice when I drive away, and everything is cold, that I hear a slight click from the drive front side. When the transmission engages and disengages (coming to a stop and then going). This eventually goes away as the car warms up. I do however hear slight clunking noise when I go over a bump, driving straight.

But it's when I turn right that I hear the clunking noise, really. A little turning left. I'm starting to think if it can be the front stabilizer bushings? It's really sounding like it can be that?

#59 ·
Hi manuajohn,

Thank you for the update to your case. Yes, keep us informed to what happens. I have posts on Facebook as well, and there is one guy getting his passenger side motor mount changed as well.

#63 ·
It's not the ball joint for sure. It was replaced yesterday(along with the driver seat cover due to abrasion wear from the seatbelt) and the noise is very much present.:mad: They ordered upper strut nuts as a follow up and gave the car back to me. Now that looks like the strut mount TSB that was being talked about a few days ago here. I do not know if the new ball joints have tamed the wheel hop issue cos I'm on winters now and they spin all too easily to create any sort of wheel hop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.