Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally fully got on my 18 sport yesterday and one thing I notice is a 6k rpm there is no power at all. I had a 14 VT rspec and it was totally different, pulled all the way to red line. The ES I noticed likes to be at a lower rpm to make power. About 5,500rpm it seem to lose its go. I've heard that the ES Turbo is smaller than the VTs. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
So I finally fully got on my 18 sport yesterday and one thing I notice is a 6k rpm there is no power at all. I had a 14 VT rspec and it was totally different, pulled all the way to red line. The ES I noticed likes to be at a lower rpm to make power. About 5,500rpm it seem to lose its go. I've heard that the ES Turbo is smaller than the VTs. Anyone else notice this?
Elantra Sport has a smaller turbo designed for low end power/torque, falls on it's face at the top of the rev range. The turbo difference has been confirmed already, and a not-so-expensive upgrade for our cars would be a swap to a VT turbo. Mark at SXTH Element is working on an install kit as we speak.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It begs the question...

Can you change the factory ES turbo for a factory VT or larger hyundai OEM turbo.... without adapters, tuning...

·
Registered
214 Posts
yes after 6k its horrible. like it literally has no power at all. i just pretend that 6k is the redline and shift at it when im doing spirited driving. sux because that a low rpm to be shifting at coming from acuras.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks all :)

It would be good if they can just supply a "kit" without an actual VT turbo included easier to source a local one here in Oz.

·
Registered
209 Posts
@ R1600Turbo
Sorry should have asked. Do u know what items they're going to include in this kit?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh Happy Happy Days..... VT turbo hunting here we come....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing wrong with having a lower power curve, look at v8s. I saw btrcc is playing with the tuning and got 300tq to the wheels with the smaller Turbo. That's a **** load of torque for a little car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nothing wrong with having a lower power curve, look at v8s. I saw btrcc is playing with the tuning and got 300tq to the wheels with the smaller Turbo. That's a **** load of torque for a little car.
Yeah, one of those tunes was ~210 hp and over 300 lbs-ft to the wheels.

Long time ago I had a 91 LX 5.0L mustang. That car had 225 hp and 300 lbs-ft of torque.....not to the wheels either. A FIVE LITER / 302 cubic inch Ford V8. That car was fast in it's day.

Now someone writes some code for a 1.6L Hyundai and it's putting up better numbers. Just crazy.

Anyway, I've had both high RPM screamers and cars like the Mustang 5.0L, they're both fun in their own way.

I really enjoy the low RPM torque of the Elantra Sport for zipping into tight spots in traffic, especially with the 6 speed. Need to get over into another lane in traffic, just leave it in 2nd gear and boot it, no waiting for a downshift or power to build, it just goes. I really like that.

Reactions: Poolnoodle

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, one of those tunes was ~210 hp and over 300 lbs-ft to the wheels.

Long time ago I had a 91 LX 5.0L mustang. That car had 225 hp and 300 lbs-ft of torque.....not to the wheels either. A FIVE LITER / 302 cubic inch Ford V8. That car was fast in it's day.

Now someone writes some code for a 1.6L Hyundai and it's putting up better numbers. Just crazy.

Anyway, I've had both high RPM screamers and cars like the Mustang 5.0L, they're both fun in their own way.

I really enjoy the low RPM torque of the Elantra Sport for zipping into tight spots in traffic, especially with the 6 speed. Need to get over into another lane in traffic, just leave it in 2nd gear and boot it, no waiting for a downshift or power to build, it just goes. I really like that.
I'm in this boat lol. I test drove a few Honda sis and they were sweet cars but needing to be st like 4-5k rpm to pass is a huge turn off for me. I prefer the LSPI risk (kidding that's not prominent anymore)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I prefer bottom end power, my car rarely sees the high RPM's. It is probably partly being used to Euro turbo diesels who has all the torque in the low end.

·
Registered
338 Posts
yes after 6k its horrible. like it literally has no power at all. i just pretend that 6k is the redline and shift at it when im doing spirited driving. sux because that a low rpm to be shifting at coming from acuras.
Yeah, my old Nissan was 8k rpm redline from factory and 9k after a tune, it pulled forever BUT it was pretty sad below 3k rpm. In fact, a common upgrade to the Nissan was to get a twin scroll EVO turbo for better lower RPM spool up. Ours already has a twin scroll, so maybe changing the turbo internals is the way to go. Torq offers the product but there is no tune for our platform yet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.