Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the tempearture continues to rise where I'm at, I've been noticing the transmission gets a bit notchy when shifting after extended drives. Anyone else notice this? I'm thinking it's due to our fairly low viscosity 70w MTF. I'm wondering if anyone has switched their MTF 75w90 and what the results have been.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Definitely, I've even noticed it ever so slightly bump forward like a bike would putting it into first gear at times. It feels kinda neat, like a proper clutched sequential box, but can't imagine it actually being all that good for the cogs and syncros. My clutch need adjusting perhaps, if that's even a thing on this setup?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Pretty much every VT owner switched to a redline fluid because of this. Don't remember what it was but if you don't switch, you'll enjoy this really unclean shift feeling for the rest of time.

I'm a little biased because I despise how this trans shifts compared to everything else I have owned and can't wait to have the 7dct

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Huh. I never switched the fluid in my VT and never noticed this issue. I haven't noticed it in the ES either, but I'll be paying closer attention from here on out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Huh. I never switched the fluid in my VT and never noticed this issue. I haven't noticed it in the ES either, but I'll be paying closer attention from here on out.
Slightly off topic, but how do you compare the performance of the VT to thr ES? Overall better, worse? Pretty similar?

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Slightly off topic, but how do you compare the performance of the VT to thr ES? Overall better, worse? Pretty similar?
So far I would say that, stock for stock, the Elantra handles a bit better with the exception of some body roll due to the long chassis. As well (again, stock for stock), the Elantra seems like it has better throttle response and somewhat better acceleration. I feel that, in general, the ES is a more refined driving experience.

However, I did the following suspension mods in the VT:

Pierce rear torsion bar, rigid collars, MOBIS suspension w/ Eibach Pro springs, and a strut bar. Totaled about $1000 or so for those parts. They made the VT handle about a bajillion times better than the ES - close to the handling of a Mini.

I was also full bolt-ons with the VT and a stage 1.25 dyno tune from Tork... it made the VT a totally different car. I was putting 248 down to the wheels when it was all said and done, and the VT would have eaten the ES alive. I think there's a strong possibility that the ES, with the same mods, would do considerably better, but I don't plan on going as hard with the ES as I did with the VT.

·
Registered
214 Posts
So far I would say that, stock for stock, the Elantra handles a bit better with the exception of some body roll due to the long chassis. As well (again, stock for stock), the Elantra seems like it has better throttle response and somewhat better acceleration. I feel that, in general, the ES is a more refined driving experience.

However, I did the following suspension mods in the VT:

Pierce rear torsion bar, rigid collars, MOBIS suspension w/ Eibach Pro springs, and a strut bar. Totaled about $1000 or so for those parts. They made the VT handle about a bajillion times better than the ES - close to the handling of a Mini.

I was also full bolt-ons with the VT and a stage 1.25 dyno tune from Tork... it made the VT a totally different car. I was putting 248 down to the wheels when it was all said and done, and the VT would have eaten the ES alive. I think there's a strong possibility that the ES, with the same mods, would do considerably better, but I don't plan on going as hard with the ES as I did with the VT.
Yeah i can imagine the tune made it feel like a different animal. Did it remain reliable after you had it done?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have Amsoil 75w90 arriving tomorrow and will update after I do the fluid change. I also have some Skunk2 M14 x 1.5mm magnetic drain plugs for both the transmission and the oil pan. I'm hoping they fit. We shall see.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*Update* The switch over to Amsoil 75w90 is a considerable difference. Much smoother. The M14 x 1.5mm drain plugs however, do not fit. Ours are M16 or M17. I haven't confirmed but they are oversized for certain. The stock plug is NOT magnetic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts