Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all the talk on the forum of 3,000 mile oil changes, fuel-oil contamination and expensive oil, this is my analysis after 3,000 miles on Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic. With how much I drive 3,000 miles is a pain, I would have to change my oil every month and a half. After being spoiled in my last car having 5-6,000 mile intervals, I decided to send in a sample to see how far I could push this car before I have to change the oil.
I drive this car hard. Full throttle onto the freeway, occasional use of sport mode, frequent spirited driving and sometimes 5-10 minute idle periods.*Most of my miles are highway and the car is completely stock.

They seem to think it looks good, but I don't know what any of this stuff means so feel free to chime in! I think I'll try 4,000 miles before my next oil change.
Also, feel free to post your own results!

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Per Hyundai the 3,000 miles is for severe category driving. That's if you frequent dusty/rocky areas or do a lot of short trips around town. If you're driving on the highway a lot you can go to, IIRC, 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What it is saying is changing at 3,000 miles is a waste! :) I would go more like 5-6k and send a sample in if you want to do it again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What it is saying is changing at 3,000 miles is a waste!
I would go more like 5-6k and send a sample in if you want to do it again.
I'll probably stretch it longer next time. I'm also considering switching away from Mobil 1, because I've heard there's better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yea i've heard the same about mobil but if its working ok its just fine for DD duty. With that said, someone else on this forum pointed out that Pennzoil Platinum has the certifications that the motor 'requires' and if its under warranty I would go that route to play it safe. I've read good things about PP and run it currently in my LS430.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts