Elantra Sport Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any one using the Fram Ultra oil filter? Good or bad?
I'm running the FRAM Ultra XG9688. I did an unreasonably excessive amount of research into which filter to use and decided to give them a try. Among the premium filters they're one of the best, and they're readily available in Canada. The Hyundai OEM filters are excellent as well, but I was able to pick up the FRAMs in bulk online for about half the price. I'll be doing an oil analysis in a couple weeks so we'll see how it's holding up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Glad can have @Xoxiin feedback that soon about this tread.

I'm using the OEM Hyundai so far for my last 2012 Veloster and current ES. The price of the OEM one is not cheap for more than CAD$10 right now. And still got engine failure of the Veloster even using fully synthetic oil. I agree with @Xoxiin that the FRAM Ultra filter got many good reviews and can be easily find at local CT. If the oil analysis result is good, I will switch to Fram.

I am not intent to extend the OCI but want to have better protection as I should have more than 4 oil changes per year in the future.
@Xoxiin, good if you can get half price from online. Can you let me know the source where to order bulk or get some for me? We can have a deal as I'm in Markham.

BTW, I'm using the new redesigned Pennzoil Platinum and having very positive result.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2018 ES, DCT.

First Oil change: 200 miles. Second: 1000 miles. Third: coming up at 3800 miles.

I use Motul X-cess 8100 with OEM filter. Oil change intervals will be set at 4-4.5k miles (after my 3rd oil change)

Changing Motul X-cess 8100 at 3000 miles is a waste of money (I sent my old oil [when I had my 16VT]for analysis at 3.5k miles interval and report stated it still had plenty of life left; no drop in viscosity or detergents; other people I know who run Motul got the same results [via blackstone labs]).

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Will add mine since I haven't.

Miles at first oil change 1500
Oil change frequency 3800 miles
Oil weight and brand 5w40 Castrol Edge Synthetic
Oil filter brand OEM

·
Registered
80 Posts
Miles at first oil change 1500
Oil change frequency 3100 miles
Oil weight and brand 5w30 Penrite ACEA A5/B5 Full Synthetic
Oil filter brand OEM as done at the dealer.

I get the dealer to do Oil & Filter at Hyundai's service interval. 10,000ks (6200 miles)
Then I just do an oil change in between that. IE: 5000ks, 15,000ks, 25,000ks etc..

I also believe if you use the correct oil & change it every 5000ks (3100) miles. The any build up on the valves is non existent.
I have done 16,000ks (almost 10,000 miles) With a 3" Torcon intake with K&N pod filter for 11,000 (6800 miles) of that distance.
There is no sign of any oil film on either the inside of the intake tube, Turbo housing or the breather pipe.
Catch cans are not needed on a stock boosted engine.. Just need to keep the ACEA A5/B5 spec oil at all times.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I also believe if you use the correct oil & change it every 5000ks (3100) miles. The any build up on the valves is non existent.
I have done 16,000ks (almost 10,000 miles) With a 3" Torcon intake with K&N pod filter for 11,000 (6800 miles) of that distance.
There is no sign of any oil film on either the inside of the intake tube, Turbo housing or the breather pipe.
Catch cans are not needed on a stock boosted engine.. Just need to keep the ACEA A5/B5 spec oil at all times.
That's just the breather side and yes, not much comes out of there. (depends on how hard you push the car)

However, there is a TON of stuff that comes from the PCV port and that in fact does get on the valves. At minimum a single catch can for the PCV side is highly recommended.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just got a Fuel Induction Service as recommended by the dealer service guy during the recent oil change. I could feel the difference like a new engine from day 1. My mileage is about 49000 KM and using the new formula SN PLUS Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 with Fram Ultra oil filter. Also Shell V-Power all the time.
I think this service is worth if you can't or don't know how to use the other DIY cleaner like Sea Foam Motor Treatment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got a Fuel Induction Service as recommended by the dealer service guy during the recent oil change. I could feel the difference like a new engine from day 1. My mileage is about 49000 KM and using the new formula SN PLUS Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 with Fram Ultra oil filter. Also Shell V-Power all the time.
I think this service is worth if you can't or don't know how to use the other DIY cleaner like Sea Foam Motor Treatment.
I have a mechanic that I trust, and we were talking about the induction cleaning the other day. He suggests it every 40-50k kms for all cars with GDI, my wife is about to have her Accent, with the GDI engine done in a few months.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hyundai OEM filter and Motul XCESS 8100 5w40.

5w30 dilutes too fast for our TGDI engines. Definitely recommended to swap to 5w40 if any of you haven’t yet.

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport 6MT Electric Blue
28 Posts
Yes, it says you can use a 40 weight, but 5W30 is recommended.

Thicker oil does not automatically mean it protects better.

Hyundai wants you to use 5W30 ACEA A5 when available. It's easily available to me, so that's what I use.

They wouldn't specify ACEA A5 if it didn't matter.

🤔

Technical Service Bulletin about 5w40 for protection disagrees with you

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport 6MT Electric Blue
28 Posts
DIY
OCI 3000-3800 miles avg
5w40 full synthetic usually castro from walmart
filter Hyundai OEM (usually from vato zone but now I am finding those chain stores don't carry OEM filters lately. any suggested sources?)

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
DIY
OCI 3000-3800 miles avg
5w40 full synthetic usually castro from walmart
filter Hyundai OEM (usually from vato zone but now I am finding those chain stores don't carry OEM filters lately. any suggested sources?)
Walmart stores sell OEM filters.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
thanks. so far the oem filters arent showing as results in my walmart app. im in San Diego CA. maybe regional supply issues?
Not sure about the website, but should definitely be in stores.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts