Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport 1.6 turbo Phoenix Orange
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what’s the deal with this oil level stuff. I have a 2017 Elantra sport turbo 1.6 and you? Manual says 4.5 L. The dipstick shows that 3.8L had fill to the F line. What should I do??? Continue to add more till I get to 4.5L or stop now at 3.8L? Is the owners manual incorrect or the dipstick? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport 6MT Electric Blue
132 Posts
I go by quarts/gallons fyi. I thought the owner's manual said 4.8 but that's for a completely empty brand new engine apparently. I've stuck with 4.0 and 4.2 with the belief that there's still oil left somewhere like in the turbo to avoid overfilling cuz when outside places do they recommended 4.5 quarts or 4.8 quarts it goes way above the F at least in my car. 80% of the time I do my own oil and I do 4 qts exactly or 4.2 quarts. it starts off as above the F but once the car is turned on it seems like it goes down to around the F Max mark. actually I kind of do a little bit below 4 quarts and then adjust from there sometimes

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport 6MT Electric Blue
132 Posts
I believe my dealer is doing 5w30 so perhaps next time I should ask if 40 is even available. In most dealerships they put the same viscosity in all the cars, at least that was my experience actually at a Toyota dealer.
actually I take it back about not trying regarding oil changes at a dealer I forgot that those maintenance inspection packages include an oil change

the first time I did the first 30kish maintenance package inspection at a local Hyundai dealer I did get a oil change and they did 5W-30 think synthetic blend. I did a second one a few months ago at the same dealer for the 45k inspection but opted out of any oil change because they use 5W-30 last time and the cost of the inspection I forgot what it was the first time but it was an overpriced oil change. without the oil change my inspection was pretty much free and I was really mainly there for them to check on all the coolant lines and inspection points. they did point out I needed new tires but I ended up getting tired somewhere else haha

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I believe my dealer is doing 5w30 so perhaps next time I should ask if 40 is even available. In most dealerships they put the same viscosity in all the cars, at least that was my experience actually at a Toyota dealer.
Hyundai typically uses 5w20 in most of their cars, so that's actually opposite of what you want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
5W30 has been used in my '17 ES manual since new. I've had no issues with levels on either side of the equation. Other than having the turbo coolant line replaced due to a leak, I've had no other issues; runs like a champ!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts