Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this TSB applies to 2018 as well? Dont both have 1.6L GDI turbos? The problem is that the GDI engine needs specification ACEA A5/B5 and the problem is two fold.
1. The dealership does not carry an oil of this grade.
2. If this TSB applies to all GDI engines then 5-40 oil does not have an ACEA A5 rating. Only 5-30 synthetic does and that cannot be had at hyundai. You need to use Pennzoil synthetic Platinum or Mobil 1. But again that gets you 5-30 and not 5-40 which is what this TSB says it needs. Maybe this does not affect 2018 but even with the same engine??

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I think I just answered your question in the Facebook group, no?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to answer on FB. This however was written at the same time. Not afterward! For others who dont know or might be interested, you suggested that its better to solve this problem by using a 5w40 synthetic oil to provide extra engine protection and forget using an oil that has an ACEA A5 rating which does not exist at 5w40 but is asked for in the manual of my 2018 ES with the 1.6L Sport GDI. Just FYI I hardly know anything about engine oil. Anyones input is appreciated if a better answer exists, or maybe Hyundai has answered this question and we dont know it yet. Otherwise I'll use the 5w40 until that time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the manual:
For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade 5W-30 (ACEA A5 or above). However, if the engine oil is not available in your country, select the proper engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart.

So using a ACEA A5 oil is not completely required.

How much worse could the MPG be with 5w40?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mpg was barely noticeable when I switched. Several tenths. If u plan on keeping it use 5w40. If u plan on getting rid of it in a couple years then use 5w30 and not care about premature wear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mpg was barely noticeable when I switched. Several tenths. If u plan on keeping it use 5w40. If u plan on getting rid of it in a couple years then use 5w30 and not care about premature wear.
I have a 2017 with 27k miles and switched to Motul X-cess 5w40. No noticeable MPG hit. I'd prefer even a slightly noticeable hit for better engine protection considering my area gets over 100 degrees frequently in summer and rarely under 32 in winter.

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport 6MT Electric Blue
17 Posts
i've been using castrol full syn 5w40 from walmart with oem filter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts