Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered paddle extensions from scgarageworks.com that arrived today and took only 5 minutes to put in. Really helps to break up the sea of black in the US spec cars. Really liking how they look and feel so far. Feel free to leave any feedback good or bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you've just sold me on paddle extensions! I'm curious how the color will hold up though with the sun beating down on it most summer days.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ordered paddle extensions from scgarageworks.com that arrived today and took only 5 minutes to put in. Really helps to break up the sea of black in the US spec cars. Really liking how they look and feel so far. Feel free to leave any feedback good or bad.
How are they functionally? They do look good, but how's doing some quick shifts from the top of them? Do they feel really sturdy on shifts without putting too much uneven pressure on the stock paddles? Do they feel like they're on there reliably and tight?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Pretty much off topic, but how does this transmission compare to the VW GTI DSG? Same experience?

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
239 Posts
Pretty much off topic, but how does this transmission compare to the VW GTI DSG? Same experience?
It is my understanding that VW's DSG can be jerky on the first 2 gears (as in normal manual gearbox) where as Hyundai's DCT tries to simulate torque converter to appeal more to the NA customers that are more custom to smooth shifting of an automatic and jerking = bad design.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
It doesn't, IMO. DSG is more refined, quicker shifts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
100% agree. Had few generations of GTI all manual but my mk7 spent weeks in the shop and the loaner was GSW DSG 1.8 and compared to the DCT I have on my Elantra it quite different. Very fast, logic was a bit off (run to 6th) but not worse than DCT but the paddles provided instant shifts. The DCT has a delay in engagement. Same/similar boxes used in the R and Audi S cars so they can handle 400 torque easy. Big after market with many DSG tunes and ability to increase clutch pack clamping pressure etc. the DCT is fragile being a dry box not designed for much torque. The Elantra is a perfect daily as is in my opinion.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Thanks for the info! I bought my first non manual car ever 2017 GTI DSG a year ago. I was actually impressed. I know some people don't like the low speed shifts, but I was fine with it as I mostly drive long highway trips. And yes, in "D" it wants to go to the next gear asap for MPG's. That didn't bother me either. I liked the fact you could keep it in "D" and shift on your own and then it would go back to shift on it's own after a bit. Once the oil temp was to 210, I usually shifted on my own with the paddles. It was quite fun. Sport mode was just too crazy for me.

Is the Elantra Sport experience even close? I've given up on getting a manual at this point as there's less than 50 2019 manuals out there at this point. IF the Elantra Sport transmission is close to the same experience, I'd be in on a 2020.

Do people ever just shift with the paddles on their own? Is there just a transmission tune for the Elantra Sport like they have with the VW DSG? I never got it, but heard it changes everything people hate about the VW DSG.
EDIT: Sorry for all the questions. I just received an offer from Carvana on my Accord Sport 2.0 that's hard to resist. I can use my dump cars for daily drive and wait till 2020 Elantra Sports become available. Since they are all DCT's, I'm just hoping the experience will be somewhat near the VW GTI DSG. I've seen YouTube videos where they regret it.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Thanks for the info! I bought my first non manual car ever 2017 GTI DSG a year ago. I was actually impressed. I know some people don't like the low speed shifts, but I was fine with it as I mostly drive long highway trips. And yes, in "D" it wants to go to the next gear asap for MPG's. That didn't bother me either. I liked the fact you could keep it in "D" and shift on your own and then it would go back to shift on it's own after a bit. Once the oil temp was to 210, I usually shifted on my own with the paddles. It was quite fun. Sport mode was just too crazy for me.

Is the Elantra Sport experience even close? I've given up on getting a manual at this point as there's less than 50 2019 manuals out there at this point. IF the Elantra Sport transmission is close to the same experience, I'd be in on a 2020.

Do people ever just shift with the paddles on their own? Is there just a transmission tune for the Elantra Sport like they have with the VW DSG? I never got it, but heard it changes everything people hate about the VW DSG.
EDIT: Sorry for all the questions. I just received an offer from Carvana on my Accord Sport 2.0 that's hard to resist. I can use my dump cars for daily drive and wait till 2020 Elantra Sports become available. Since they are all DCT's, I'm just hoping the experience will be somewhat near the VW GTI DSG. I've seen YouTube videos where they regret it.
I'd personally wait for the Forte GT coming out. I can't comment too much on the DCT, my car is a manual. The only DCT I drove was hunting hears and acting strange and it put me off purchasing one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd personally wait for the Forte GT coming out. I can't comment too much on the DCT, my car is a manual. The only DCT I drove was hunting hears and acting strange and it put me off purchasing one.
Well shoot, I believe I mentioned the Forte GT on this site in another thread, but totally forgot about it since it's not out yet. Will probably be a great alternative to the Elantra Sport. My only issue is Kia doesn't usually discount their cars like Hyundai does. I'm in the DC area and most dealers here just blow out the Elantra Sports with pretty crazy discounts. I don't see Kia doing the same thing. Let alone with a brand new model. But for sure I will keep that in mind. Don't need to buy now so in a good place. Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its quick

I am sure many people on this forum has seen this video buts its worth a watch. you can get an idea of the transmission behavior

[if there's a playback error, just click on the youtube link right above the video] that should take you directly to youtube

I wouldn't say it's AS fast as a DSG, but it's still pretty dang quick. I have no problems with the speed of the DCT at all.

·
Registered
243 Posts

I have DCT shifts fairly quick, no problems!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Apparently I can't figure out how to reply, so here's a review/impressions. So after about 150 miles, they feel sturdy shifting regardless of where you shift on the paddle, one thing is its held in by screws and these may dig into your original shifters if you do to tight as I did. Next I really wish they had a rubberized material on the back of some kind cause they can get pretty slippery but will get the job done HOWEVER they heat up in sun. Uncomfortably so, might be worth it to block the metal on the back side.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Saw this posted on another site not related to the Elantra Sport. Thoughts?

"The biggest downside for me is the tranny. I got the DCT, and while it does a decent job, as time has gone on it’s showing that Hyundai still does not have this nailed down. It’s extremely jerky, and at low speeds the car feels like a “bucking bronco”. After two years it has just become excessively annoying. And while the suspension is super fun on the twisters, it’s very rough and bouncy with normal day to day driving."

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Can't buy a sporty car and complain about stiff suspension IMO. Should have bought a Honda Civic.

With that said, many complaints about the DCT, several been replaced multiple times, cars being bought back for that reason. It's a dry clutch DCT which is jerky to begin with, and most people used to driving regular automatics will have a hard time getting used to it. I only had slight interest in it until I drove one that wasn't behaving properly and wasn't responding to commands so I bought the 6MT (my first choice) and haven't looked back.

Hyundai is currently testing a wet clutch 8-speed DCT that will find it's way into the i30 N and Veloster N probably for the 2021 model year and I expect it to be worlds better in every way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts