Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having problems with paint chipping off their vehicles? I have had the car for 3 months now and I must have like 6 or 7 chips on my car. I live in a city so it makes no sense. Asking to see who else has this problem or if it just me. And is it covered under warranty or will there be enough people that have this that it may be considered a defect? Post your paint problems here if you have any.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I have a few small chips on the front of my hood. Typical for my area and my work route. I would strongly advise getting clear bra if you can.

·
Super Moderator
1,200 Posts
If you have that many chips in the hood already then you follow people too closely. So, first of all, back off. And, no, paint chips aren't covered under warranty. The paint isn't supposed to have rocks thrown at it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you have that many chips in the hood already then you follow people too closely. So, first of all, back off. And, no, paint chips aren't covered under warranty. The paint isn't supposed to have rocks thrown at it.

Nailed it. You hear that pinging noise when youre above 40 MPH and behind someone? Thats the sound of pain(t).

·
Super Moderator
1,200 Posts
Yup. That would be it. Any car you drive on a dirt/gravel road is going to be susceptible to chips on the sides. The answer:

Mudflaps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Even if you're not following too close, a lot of highway driving and you'll notice paint chips popping up as pebbles are always flying around. Someone speeding past you in the next lane can potentially kick pebbles up which in turn will leave you with paint chips.

In regards to what @likebudda posted, that would make me cringe and I would definitely head back to the dealership asap.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Someone speeding past you in the next lane can potentially kick pebbles up which in turn will leave you with paint chips.
Going the opposite direction too. Hence why I've had to get the windshield replaced already.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yup. That would be it. Any car you drive on a dirt/gravel road is going to be susceptible to chips on the sides. The answer:

Mudflaps.
I do not believe that there is no mudflaps available for the ES, due to the sport's side skirt being different from the regular Elantras. If anyone knows of where to find some that would fit and not look like a horrible afterthought, it would be great if you could lets us know.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I do not believe that there is no mudflaps available for the ES, due to the sport's side skirt being different from the regular Elantras. If anyone knows of where to find some that would fit and not look like a horrible afterthought, it would be great if you could lets us know.
Rally Armor has a universal set that works. Someone on here and the facebook group put some on a week or two ago.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think @ledzeppelin240 installed a set of Rally Armor on their Elantra, but I don't think there's a picture of it yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Modern paint is pretty thin. It sucks. My car goes in for a clear bra next week as I've already discovered two chips on the hood after 300 miles. I'm not tail gating, Kansas roads are just falling apart so it's pretty much impossible to avoid.

I have some Dr. Colorchip on the way so that the guy I use can touch up any he finds before laying the vinyl down.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just noticed my first chip.

I have a chip on the drivers side just behind the drivers door handle. I pretty sure I remember hearing the piece of gravel from broken asphalt on the highway. Thanks to the wonderful affects of frost on our roadways.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Modern paint is pretty thin. It sucks. My car goes in for a clear bra next week as I've already discovered two chips on the hood after 300 miles. I'm not tail gating, Kansas roads are just falling apart so it's pretty much impossible to avoid.

I have some Dr. Colorchip on the way so that the guy I use can touch up any he finds before laying the vinyl down.
I had clear bra (or paint protection film - same thing?) installed on the front bumper and headlights a week after I got the car. But I skipped on the hood at the time which was a mistake as I've picked up quite a few chips. I may do what you are doing and fill them then have the hood completely covered. (I hate the edge line that only doing a portion of the hood creates)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I bought the car in May and now I have paint chips on the front, side, and just below the trunk. The pain chips off so easily. My wife?s Dodge Durango is 4 years old and doesn?t have any chips. We often drive the same suburban roads. No gravel.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I bought the car in May and now I have paint chips on the front, side, and just below the trunk. The pain chips off so easily. My wife?s Dodge Durango is 4 years old and doesn?t have any chips. We often drive the same suburban roads. No gravel.
thats bot a good sign already. at that rate its gonna be a rust bucket within a few short years.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts