Elantra Sport Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,171 Posts
Hows it a POS? Ive seen a number of members here with that grill, thought of getting one myself.
So, the problem lies in this bit: the piece of piano black trim around the grill is a separate piece from the grill itself. It affixes to the grill by about a dozen tabs that snap in to slots on the OEM grill. The M&S grill only has 3 or 4 of these slots pre-cut, and they're cut too big for the tabs to snap in. This means that you have to find a creative method for keeping the bottom edge of the trim piece in place. Additionally, since only a few bottom slots are cut, that means you have to dremel the rest of them yourself - no easy task. Took me the better part of a day just to do this and have everything fit right. On top of all this, the grill is cheap plastic honeycomb. If anything were ever to hit it, it would punch a hole right through it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
So, the problem lies in this bit: the piece of piano black trim around the grill is a separate piece from the grill itself. It affixes to the grill by about a dozen tabs that snap in to slots on the OEM grill. The M&S grill only has 3 or 4 of these slots pre-cut, and they're cut too big for the tabs to snap in. This means that you have to find a creative method for keeping the bottom edge of the trim piece in place. Additionally, since only a few bottom slots are cut, that means you have to dremel the rest of them yourself - no easy task. Took me the better part of a day just to do this and have everything fit right. On top of all this, the grill is cheap plastic honeycomb. If anything were ever to hit it, it would punch a hole right through it.
Well thats good news that I haven't made the switch. I bird flew into me the other morning. Are there any other grills we can use for the ES? I like the stock grill but I want to stand out more from the other Elantra's out there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you want your elantra to stand out, paint your front badge black or dark gray and don't use the front plate. I think that is the best look for this car as of yet, clean and costs nothing. That custom grill looks way too empty like a giant fish, and not to mention the cost and labor and fitment issues mentioned above.

·
Super Moderator
1,171 Posts
Well thats good news that I haven't made the switch. I bird flew into me the other morning. Are there any other grills we can use for the ES? I like the stock grill but I want to stand out more from the other Elantra's out there.
I've heard that there are other grills but I know nothing about them.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you want your elantra to stand out, paint your front badge black or dark gray and don't use the front plate. I think that is the best look for this car as of yet, clean and costs nothing. That custom grill looks way too empty like a giant fish, and not to mention the cost and labor and fitment issues mentioned above.
Thats actually what Im planning to do. I bought some plastidip at Walmart the other day. I was "dipping" my mom's emblems to get a bit of practice. I feel you on the giant fish, it reminds me of a catfish. I do like the mesh look, but its too big of an area for just mesh which is why I hadnt blown my money on one yet. Depending on how strict the cops want to be here in California, I was thinking of doing a front tow mount for the plate (not really liking the front tow mount hook look).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Such a sexy car

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is that the new Ranger? I need more pics of that and your thoughts on it!!
It's the South African Spec Ranger. It's actually my wife's truck, I had the last body style for work. It's one of the best selling vehicles in the country.

If you are used to proper American trucks, then this one will seem under powered. It's a 3.2 diesel with roughly 185hp and thats the biggest engine you can get from the dealer. But as a family vehicle and the road conditions here, it works great.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts