Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a VT before the ES, and the piston rings in that car were weak as ****, so there was a ton of fuel blow by which ended up diluting the oil with fuel. When you did oil changes it smelled like straight gasoline coming out of the oil pan. This necessitated 3000 mile oil change intervals, regardless of oil used or driving habits.

What does that have to do with the ES? Well, I was under it changing the oil today and noticed that there is a very slight fuel smell, but it is nowhere near as strong as what came out of the VT. Does anyone know if they changed the piston rings for the ES? It seems to me like they must have. If so, extended interval oil changes can actually be a thing. If anyone has access to part numbers to compare I'd be really interested.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The next person who feels like doing it should just send some oil off to Blackstone for analysis. That'd be the easiest way to tell.

Oil simply smelling of fuel is nothing new and has been happening as long as I've been changing oil.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In all my 35 years of changing oil, the only time I've ever had oil smell like pure gasoline was in the VT. Sure, there is often a faint smell, but not like what I was draining out of that car.

I'm not interested in what's in the oil as I use the exact same oil and fuel I used in the VT, so I know what's up, and anyone who knows those cars knows how quickly the oil gets diluted, which is definitely not happening in this car. I'm interested in the piston rings.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, I really didn't think they had a full parts list out already. Took them over a year for the VT, so thanks for that.

Interestingly enough, the rings have the same part number. So the question then is: Why is there so much less fuel dilution of the oil in the ES? Anyone have a theory or, better yet, hard knowledge?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow, I really didn't think they had a full parts list out already. Took them over a year for the VT, so thanks for that.

Interestingly enough, the rings have the same part number. So the question then is: Why is there so much less fuel dilution of the oil in the ES? Anyone have a theory or, better yet, hard knowledge?

VT has higher boost? Thus combustion pressure? Just a guess.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VT has higher boost? Thus combustion pressure? Just a guess.
Some years do, some years don't. If I'm not mistaken, the '15 and '26 models also peaked at 16.5 or so. I wonder if they suffer the same fuel dilution that the '14 and earlier VTs did?

·
Registered
188 Posts
In all my 35 years of changing oil, the only time I've ever had oil smell like pure gasoline was in the VT. Sure, there is often a faint smell, but not like what I was draining out of that car.

I'm not interested in what's in the oil as I use the exact same oil and fuel I used in the VT, so I know what's up, and anyone who knows those cars knows how quickly the oil gets diluted, which is definitely not happening in this car. I'm interested in the piston rings.
What's in the oil tells you far more than what it smells like, but to each their own. I'm bored at work today so I'll look up more VT UOAs to see what they look like. So far the ones I've found don't have alarming fuel dilution readings. They look normal in fact.

I plan on getting a UOA done on my second oil change and basing my oil change intervals around it.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's in the oil tells you far more than what it smells like, but to each their own. I'm bored at work today so I'll look up more VT UOAs to see what they look like. So far the ones I've found don't have alarming fuel dilution readings. They look normal in fact.

I plan on getting a UOA done on my second oil change and basing my oil change intervals around it.
The fuel dilution issue with the VTs is a commonly known issue. The oil comes out like water and smells like gas from 10 feet away.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Perhaps yours did not make perfect sealing during run-in / slight manufacturing defect (or something else entirely, you get the picture) that caused yours specific car to exhibit that issue?

I'm not sure how widespread this was. I did an oil change at 5000kms with no fuel smell and mechanic just did the 10000k service (to maintain warranty) and mentioned nothing out of the ordinary on my ES.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perhaps yours did not make perfect sealing during run-in / slight manufacturing defect (or something else entirely, you get the picture) that caused yours specific car to exhibit that issue?

I'm not sure how widespread this was. I did an oil change at 5000kms with no fuel smell and mechanic just did the 10000k service (to maintain warranty) and mentioned nothing out of the ordinary on my ES.
As stated, in the VT community it's an issue across all cars. I've helped out a fair number of VT owners here in the Austin area do light maintenance like oil changes, brakes, etc as I have a garage and a lot of them live in apartments. I've never done an oil change on a VT that didn't reek of fuel. Not just a faint odor, but an odor so bad that if you got any of the old oil on your hands your hands would stink like fuel for hours afterward, even after washing up. I'm not experiencing the same thing with the ES, which is what is making me curious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts