Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think we need to put tips like this in a "must do" mods sticky.

THIS IS awesome!

·
Registered
143 Posts
According to BTR, the jerkiness is due to the smaller turbo, and cannot be tuned out.
From BTR tune product page and read their description.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
So I am still in break in period for about another 150 miles. At this point no extreme acceleration and thus no jerkiness either. So where is this jerkiness and under what circumstances do you get it.

EZE
I mainly get it at 50-80% throttle, usually while passing someone.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Did this yesterday in my DCT, have noticed considerable reduction on the "hesitation".... somehow gear changes feel smoother and it certainly drives great very happy.

however warm idle is now choppy. Best way i can describe the idle is it feels.... "smooth smooth smooth kinda choppy smooth smooth smooth...." the choppy patch feels a little rough and almost like the idle for a split second is too low and going to stall without it dipping super low and actually stalling.

Going to double check all the gaps tomorrow and if it persists then try 0.29 and report back.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Did this on Sunday. Mine weren't too far off as-is, maybe in the .29 range. I put them all at .28 and so far I would say it seems to run smoother. (except when the engine is cold, still jumpy there.....stupid power limiters) Haven't experienced the hesitation yet that I was previously experiencing, so no comment on that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The factory gaps on mine were HUGE... Still have the same rough idle issue. I tried increasing the gap by 0.01 at a time from .28 to .30.... No difference.

Still got rough idle...

Anyone got any ideas of what to try next?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I finally got around to doing this too, I never noticed any jerkiness, but there was a little bit of rough idle. 3 of my plugs were .30 and 1 was almost .32. I can also say it does idle smoother after gapping all plugs to .28, thank voodoo idol and John. And it was nice to see my plugs were looking normal after pulling them. The only time my car is jerky is due to my awful shifting... lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having same surge, hesitation, herky jerky acceleration problem and saw this about the plugs so thought I'd give it a try. Oem gaps were .031, .029, .030, .031 so I reset all to .028. Although with a smaller gap the spark is also "smaller" and a bit weaker and maybe won't burn the fuel as efficiently. What I noticed was a slighty rougher idle. It still surges some but maybe not as bad. I'll have to give it a another week or so before I'm sure if it's helped or not. If not I think I'll try going a little bigger on the gap, maybe .033 or .034 and see what happens there. The pic is oem plug after removal before re-gap. Did not clean (maybe I should have?) just re-gapped and put back in. Will pull again in a week or so and see if any changes in color, deposits, etc.
Cruisin'.........ondflo.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
I went back to 0.40 after trying 0.28 and 0.29 (rough idle). Seems to be quite good now, idle is smooth and so is normal driving.

It'll be interesting to see how 0.34 goes for you...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.