Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read and seen quite a few people online say that power falls off at high rpm. This is true to an extent. When i bought the car i was using 87 gas. I did notice the power fall off. One of my friends that owns a turbo car told me to use 93 on turbo cars as it will improve mpg and power and also engine reliability. Drove it for about 100 miles on 93 before i did some hard pulls and holy crap what a difference. Car pulls a lot harder and the power is consistent all throughout the rev range. Was on the highway doing 60. Dropped to about 4th and put my foot down. Car accelerated like a bat out of ****. Before i knew it i was doing 100. So use 93 if you can.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I have read a few articles on this and I have tried 87, 89, and now 93 due to different theories. Having said that I will say that I did not notice a HUGE difference in performance and MPG seems to be around the same. However I will say is when it comes to engine performance, acceleration feels smoother, and off the line I have better response. The car does not have a lot of off the line low RPM grunt but with 93 I did notice a difference. 87 and 89 did feel different and more sluggish. Is it enough of a difference to keep me using 93, I would say yes actually. I would say try it for yourself, 93 is expensive and not absolutely necessary all the time. For me and for now I will continue to use it unless it gets stupid expensive and then I may move down to 89.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have used 95 (ron) which is the equivalent to the US 91 (mon) ever since I have had the car..

I prefer using the better quality fuel rather than looking at the octane rating..

Our lower grade here 91 (ron) equivalent to the US 87 (mon) has a high amount of sulphur..

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm also in Aus and pretty religious about 95 RON, car does feel smoother on it, plus it's the best value becuase 98 RON is 10-15 c/L more again which is hard to justify in the long run. Part of why I do it also is that my two motorcycles require 95 RON minimum, so I fill the car every 2 weeks on the cheap day (yes theres a cheap fuel day every week in Aus its weird as ****) and fill a 20L fuel can for my bikes at the same time, what I gain in going to the servo a lot less often is worth it to me.

95 RON fill car + fuel can + cheap day + 4 c/L off = win imo.

As for power falling off at high RPM, I don't often need to run the needle past about 4500rpm really, but she feels like she pulls hard to 6.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So I have read a few articles on this and I have tried 87, 89, and now 93 due to different theories. Having said that I will say that I did not notice a HUGE difference in performance and MPG seems to be around the same. However I will say is when it comes to engine performance, acceleration feels smoother, and off the line I have better response. The car does not have a lot of off the line low RPM grunt but with 93 I did notice a difference. 87 and 89 did feel different and more sluggish. Is it enough of a difference to keep me using 93, I would say yes actually. I would say try it for yourself, 93 is expensive and not absolutely necessary all the time. For me and for now I will continue to use it unless it gets stupid expensive and then I may move down to 89.
I have no MPG improvement using 93 here in Texas. Seemed smoother, but no 0-60 improvement. Measure with Torque app.

Reactions: moneynmotion
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.