Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my short list of possible summer tires. I will likely get them for next year. The last three digits are the UTQG tread wear rating (grains of salt not included). I've give stars for higher wear, performance (internet searches) and looks. Why looks? Why not! I won't be using even the lowest performing skins on this list to their fullest potential. I'd like to scream around corners once in a while and have more confidence in breaking but most of the time I'm commuting or taxiing kids. The more stars, the more I like them.

If you have any experience with any of these your input would be most appreciated.

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position 280
**** Continental extremecontact sport 340
**Dunlop Direzza DZ102 460
** Direzza ZII Star Spec 200
** Falken Azenis RT615K 200
**** Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 280
Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 320
HankookVentus V12 evo K110 280
Kumho Ecsta PS31 400
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP 220
***Nitto NT555 G2 320
***Sumitomo HTR Z II 360
Toyo Proxes 1 240
*** Toyo Proxes T1R 280

I have used the Falken's and found that their breaking point was rather abrupt, requiring instant and deliberate steering corrections.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I run those Conti Extremecontacts before. A little weak in cornering (a bit more roll than I would like), but it always still felt confident and never lost traction. Never driven on them on snow or ice, but they're excellent in the rain.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The New Firehawk Indy 500 is a fantastic tire at a great price point. Its a 'rebadged' RE003 Potenza...TW340

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I plan on running Hankook RS4's when I get around to getting some sticky summer (well, all season in AZ :D) tires...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yokohama AD08 , not the R but the regular ones. Wet performance is pretty good, they take a little to get the warmth in them but when they do, they're pretty darn sticky and grip the corners very well. Given how soft they are, they don't wear that tremendously badly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Focus ST had Eagle F1 asymmetrics and I thought it was a great all around tire. I took that car to auto-x and time attack and the tires never complained.

On my Elantra I'm running Potenza RE-71R with 200 tread wear and they are incredible in the dry and also incredibly noisy, so noisy I'm gonna swap them out after a couple trips to the track, I can't live with them day to day.

I vote Goodyear based on experience with a similar tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts