Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my lap3 ECU Tune, changed the oil to 5w 40, and just need to install the plugs. I can't find the proper specs for them so any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
My ES mileage is 65000 km and would like to change the spark plugs too after switched from 5w30 to 5w40.

I have asked NGK but they didn't made for 2018 Hyundai ES. No need for high performance like HKS. So which brand should be better other than OEM?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Reactions: Petabytes

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm running NGK 1422 with a tune, so far so good.

I did have HKS m40XL for about 5000kms but one of the porcelain insulators cracked with the tune in, since then NGK all the way. No issues since.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I can't remember now why I went with the M40XL over the M45XL but I'm a stickler for research, I'd spoke to some local tuners as well as Tork and the consensus was the M40XL. At the time it seemed like the best choice... Ive been using the NGK 1422 for the last 4 months and have been performing wonderfully.... So much so that they've been putting up with my cars boost spikes of 26psi!

My tune is about to be updated to Torks Stage 1 tune so we'll see what happens over the next few weeks...

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
That's the first time I have heard anyone recommend 40's with a tune. Everyone I know recommends the 45's, which is what I'm running. 3 months down, no issues.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Reactions: Petabytes

·
Registered
126 Posts
Searched for a while and found interesting informations. As NGK didn't made or no longer supply the OEM spark plugs for Hyundai 1.6T even for Veloster after 2015. But the Hyundai OEM parts no. for 2015-2018 Veloster Turbo and 2017-2018 Elantra Turbo is the same 18849-08080.

The NGK plug for 2015 Veloster Turbo is 93655 SILZKR7E8EG. Also it's the same search result from Sxth Element parts site. So thinking whether this can also match for 2018 Elantra Turbo.

There are some difference comparing the NGK 1422 ILKR8E6 (Heat range: 8, Gap: 0.6mm) to NGK 93655 SILZKR7E8EG (Heat range: 7, Gap: 0.8mm).

Which one should be better for no tune stock?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Unless you're going to get a tune, don't bother, just monitor the stock plugs when doing regular servicing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Finally pulled out one spark plug to have a look. The stock one is NGK IR SILZKR8E8G marking on the plug. Tried to send inquiry to two NGK customer service contacts for the matching parts. They both mentioned this NGK OEM plug was not made for retail selling. Recommended to buy the Hyundai stock one instead.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Finally, bought the OEM ones (Mobis) from a Korean eBay seller cause it's cheaper for no tune. All of them were pre-gapped to 0.031 as checked with a coin-type measurement tool. Is it ok or do i need to adjust for better performance?

Have tried to pull out a current one for a check and it's also 0.031.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.