Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So pretty much I have found out since I will be buying in full cash I can't afford the Elantra Sport DCT with the tech package;

so I have to get the standard sport. Dual-zone climate isn't a big deal to not have, but its gonna be my commuter to school which is gonna be around 100 km round trip
and I want a good speaker system, love my music, is the standard speaker system and the 7 inch touchscreen fine? bummed as **** to not be able to afford the tech package
so I am hoping the stock I think its 6 speaker system will be good because I care about my music.

#FirstWorldProblems haha

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Opinions on this range from "It's great for a base system" to "I'm fine with it" to "It's terrible".

I fit into the "I'm fine with it" category. It's not great but it's not terrible either. My Kia was way worse.

Good luck. :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opinions on this range from "It's great for a base system" to "I'm fine with it" to "It's terrible".

I fit into the "I'm fine with it" category. It's not great but it's not terrible either. My Kia was way worse.

Good luck. :p
I mean if it sucks can probably just upgrade the speakers, hopefully the stock touchscreen puts out enough watt to upgrade them though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I couldn’t stand it. First thing I did was swap out the door speakers. I left the tweeters. The factory head unit puts out decent enough wattage to cover wind noise with all 5 windows open at freeway speeds. Be aware if you do get aftermarket speakers you will need adapters. I bought my stuff from Crutchfield and the adapters were included for free.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't want it like blasting so loud the entire traffic intersection hears it haha, as long as its loud enough to peacefully enjoy with all the windows up on the highway I am good!

·
Registered
188 Posts
It sounds decent but needs more bass. I'll probably pick up a slim subwoofer for the trunk that doesn't take up a lot of space at some point. When I crank up the bass on the stock speakers they start sounding pretty piss poor. Either plastic in the door panels is rattling or they are reaching their max. It sounds like impending doom and not like bass. Haha

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
It sounds decent but needs more bass. I'll probably pick up a slim subwoofer for the trunk that doesn't take up a lot of space at some point. When I crank up the bass on the stock speakers they start sounding pretty piss poor. Either plastic in the door panels is rattling or they are reaching their max. It sounds like impending doom and not like bass. Haha
I'm just going to put an 8" in the rear deck where the premium sub would sit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the upgraded tech package and I added a Jl Audio 12 inch powered woofer box for increased bass response which sounds amazing but when I listened to the basic system it lacked big time all 3 frequency’s!!! So what I’m saying is you will be shelling out some cash if you want a good not great audio system if you want a decent system!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Easy steps for big sound improvement.

Here's what I did to improve the sound of my 2017 Sport base sound system:

1. Use an Android phone with a good output DAC (LG with Quad-DAC is the best). If you use iPhone, you're out of luck, live with the mediocre output DAC.
2. Dump the crappy lossy mp3 files and start using FLAC files instead which are lossless and sound much better.
3. Use the analog 1/8" audio input in the car instead of Bluetooth, which is a lossy compression similar to mp3, which is to say, crappy.
4. Use a music player with a 10-band graphic equalizer. I'm using PowerAmp which is generally considered the best. It's $3.99 from the Google Play store, but well worth it.
5. Start playing around with the equalizer. I listen only to classical music, so my settings won't be the best for pop music.

Attached is a screen shot of my settings. Note how I roll the bass off because these speakers are incapable of reproducing very low frequencies, and it's just a waste of amplifier power and driver excursion. The biggest improvement comes from adjusting the midrange. The stock system has a pronounced "boxy" or "nasal" sound to it. My settings flatten out the response which provides for much more clarity and detail. A slight rise at the very high frequencies compensates for the cheap tweeter's roll off at the upper end. It took me several weeks of tweaking to arrive at this setting, and it works great for classical and acoustic jazz. In fact, it sounds so good that I'm putting off replacing the speakers until they start to physically deteriorate.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I couldn’t stand it. First thing I did was swap out the door speakers. I left the tweeters. The factory head unit puts out decent enough wattage to cover wind noise with all 5 windows open at freeway speeds. Be aware if you do get aftermarket speakers you will need adapters. I bought my stuff from Crutchfield and the adapters were included for free.
What did you replace them with?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is the 7 inch touchscreen OK? Besides navigation, does the 8 inch offer anything else except size? I cannot seem to find an 8 inch or larger replacement. The upgraded package besides the stereo doesn't interest me too much. The base already comes with a sunroof and Sirius/XM. Both I wouldn't go without. Very nice to have those on a base as it's becoming very rare these days.

I know some will roll their eyes, mostly stereo nazi's, but I emailed Crutchfield to see what they can come up with upgrading from the base system to equal or better the Premium stereo. I put the budget as $1125 (half of the Premium package) or less and stressed less is better. Should be interesting with what they come up with.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Very nice to have those on a base as it's becoming very rare these days.
Wasn't standard the first year. Mine doesn't have one.

Have you looked into full replacement screens that are essentially a tablet running Android? Like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/oct..._expid=4098889c-7c76-4007-b409-6d15e27b9ab8-0

That's a huge 10" screen but they do make them a bit smaller. Can be configured to use the steering wheel controls and with some minor wiring the reverse camera also works.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wasn't standard the first year. Mine doesn't have one.

Have you looked into full replacement screens that are essentially a tablet running Android? Like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/oct..._expid=4098889c-7c76-4007-b409-6d15e27b9ab8-0

That's a huge 10" screen but they do make them a bit smaller. Can be configured to use the steering wheel controls and with some minor wiring the reverse camera also works.
Yes I remember looking at those units when I was researching base Mustangs with their lame 4 inch screens. These seem to be a great replacement, however none have Sirius/XM. Unless something has changed. I know the Elantra Sport comes with sat radio. Just not sure how that would work out since this screen would block the stock one I assume. I believe you can use the Sirius/XM app with this, but that's pretty dangerous from my experience. Just not the same as having it in the head unit/stock display/steering wheel.

Besides lack of sat radio, these are really nice. Many said audio sounded better after just installing these. I think some were even larger that fit the Mustang. Very Tesla like haha! Playing games, watching TV, take your pick of driving entertainment!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Pretty slow thread. So this is what Crutchfield came back with to upgrade the base stereo system. It came in right around my budget at $1150 without labor. But they assured me this will be superior to the base system sound wise. It retains the stock 7 inch screen of course.

https://www.crutchfield.com/cart/default.aspx?emType=0&emKey=2235982

Thoughts from you stereo guys? Too much? Too little? Downright cray cray? I'm trying to get a labor quote from them as well since they work with many audio shops in my area. Just out of curiosity to see the total costs.

Anyhoo, that's one route I guess people can take.

On a side note, do people really use all that "Blue Link" stuff on the premiere package?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.