Elantra Sport Forum banner

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have done over 25,000 klm (16,000 miles) with my Racechip RS. Running on 90% on the highest map 6.
Always run on at least 95 fuel (91) Running HKS plugs for the last 10,000 klm (6000 miles) I haven't has any problems at all

Car has gone in for it's 50,000 (31,000 mile) service today. And the car has run sweet without any problems at all..
While 100% a ECU tune is the better way to go. But here in Australia it's not a cheap exercise option to have, as already mentioned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
any updates? thanks
Hey mate,

I have now had my RaceChip S for 4 months now and clocked roughly 15000kms with no issues at all (and I drive rather spiritedly). I can't recommend it enough if you are after a bit more performance. Sure, a full ECU tune is ideal, but in Australia, we have absolutely 0 tuners for Hyundai and its not cheap. Now, some will argue "cheap is not necessarily better" and I can understand that argument, but RaceChip is a company that creates piggybacks for other cars and invests a decent bit of time ironing out any imperfections. So long as you keep on top of maintenance, you should be okay!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey mate,

I have now had my RaceChip S for 4 months now and clocked roughly 15000kms with no issues at all (and I drive rather spiritedly). I can't recommend it enough if you are after a bit more performance. Sure, a full ECU tune is ideal, but in Australia, we have absolutely 0 tuners for Hyundai and its not cheap. Now, some will argue "cheap is not necessarily better" and I can understand that argument, but RaceChip is a company that creates piggybacks for other cars and invests a decent bit of time ironing out any imperfections. So long as you keep on top of maintenance, you should be okay!
100% agree on that.. In Australia it's one of the best $$ performance mods you can do.. Run at least 95ron fuel & you will be good to go..
Us Aussies do pay a fair amount for performance mods, as most come out of the US. And with the US -AUS $$ exchange rate is not great ATM.
Than to add on fairly high postage costs on top of that..

·
Registered
12 Posts
100% agree on that.. In Australia it's one of the best $$ performance mods you can do.. Run at least 95ron fuel & you will be good to go..
Us Aussies do pay a fair amount for performance mods, as most come out of the US. And with the US -AUS $$ exchange rate is not great ATM.
Than to add on fairly high postage costs on top of that..
Can definitely second this mate. It's crazy how expensive mods are for this car, but its a relatively niche market. Some items are actually priced okay, but its the shipping thats the killer. Can't even get an intake here in Aus or shipped from overseas for under AU$550 which is a shame, but as you say, its definitely the best bang for buck performance mods!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Still thinking about this myself tbh... the reports of reliable long term use are promising though.

Even just the S model is a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Still thinking about this myself tbh... the reports of reliable long term use are promising though.

Even just the S model is a noticeable difference?
Hey mate,

Have had my RaceChip S for nearly 15,000kms with no issues, but you MUST upgrade spark plugs absolutely 0 exception. Replaced mine yesterday and carbon was all over the electrode from the excess heat caused from the extra boost. Car started cutting boost completely due to the bad spark plugs but replaced them yesterday and all is back to normal! Performance gains are very noticeable as in the claims of gains are pretty accurate as stated on their website

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey mate,

Have had my RaceChip S for nearly 15,000kms with no issues, but you MUST upgrade spark plugs absolutely 0 exception. Replaced mine yesterday and carbon was all over the electrode from the excess heat caused from the extra boost. Car started cutting boost completely due to the bad spark plugs but replaced them yesterday and all is back to normal! Performance gains are very noticeable as in the claims of gains are pretty accurate as stated on their website
Yeah my SR has 53k kms on it and I just bought HKS M40XL plugs to put in when I service it at 55k kms, really thinking about the Racechip at the time too...

Where did you buy it and what was the price? Also which map do you use, the most aggressive of the 5?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah my SR has 53k kms on it and I just bought HKS M40XL plugs to put in when I service it at 55k kms, really thinking about the Racechip at the time too...

Where did you buy it and what was the price? Also which map do you use, the most aggressive of the 5?
I purchased my RaceChip S directly from RaceChip Germany, costed around AU$350. I have driven the car solely on map 5 since I got it and have not had any issues other than the boost cuts from the bad spark plugs, which has been resolved. You need to run heat range #9 spark plugs to safely run a tune in these cars and the M40XLs are the equivalent to stock plugs. You could run them but after my experience with random misfires and the boost cutting, I'd strongly recommend the M45XL's. A company called Cherry Tuning and Performance sell a set of 4 for $180 and even sell the RaceChip units too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I purchased my RaceChip S directly from RaceChip Germany, costed around AU$350. I have driven the car solely on map 5 since I got it and have not had any issues other than the boost cuts from the bad spark plugs, which has been resolved. You need to run heat range #9 spark plugs to safely run a tune in these cars and the M40XLs are the equivalent to stock plugs. You could run them but after my experience with random misfires and the boost cutting, I'd strongly recommend the M45XL's. A company called Cherry Tuning and Performance sell a set of 4 for $180 and even sell the RaceChip units too.
Much appreciated, just submitted a request to cancel the order for the M40XL's, looks like that company want $450 for the Racechip however so I might look into ordering from overseas too.

I think I'm pretty sold!

EDIT: looks like they're after $375, will hit them up once I get the M40XL order cancelled!

Cheers for the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Much appreciated, just submitted a request to cancel the order for the M40XL's, looks like that company want $450 for the Racechip however so I might look into ordering from overseas too.

I think I'm pretty sold!
No problem man, can't go wrong with those piggybacks. They get a bad wrap but they are engineered and developed to withstand the tests of time. If you aren't running a catch can on the PCV side, I'd also recommend installing one because these engines are known to have carbon build up and that'll be accelerated from running a RaceChip or tune!

·
Registered
246 Posts
No problem man, can't go wrong with those piggybacks. They get a bad wrap but they are engineered and developed to withstand the tests of time. If you aren't running a catch can on the PCV side, I'd also recommend installing one because these engines are known to have carbon build up and that'll be accelerated from running a RaceChip or tune!
Really appreciate all the advice (and edited post above with more too)!

Yeah my only under the hood mods are PCV catch can, pod filter (airbox delete) and hella supertones because the stock horn sucks! aside from that it's all cosmetic but I am keen to have a little more poke :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bought the Racechip S, M45XL plugs and an Intercooler resonator delete, keen to install it all!

Might be the wrong thread, but for the resonator delete, does the plastic bottom engine cover need to come off?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Might be the wrong thread, but for the resonator delete, does the plastic bottom engine cover need to come off?
Yes. Also, probably not going to notice much. Replacing the whole hot pipe is far more effective.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts