Elantra Sport Forum banner

141 - 160 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I see you have a '19+. Fair warning people were having issues on the '19's with the AFE Scorcher (same type of device pretty much). May have abandoned it due to misfires and the car going into limp mode.
Hmm.. good to know. I wonder if they were using stock plugs or not. if you could point me to any other feedback/experience that would be a huge help. Also, if anyone here has a '19 Elantra has a race chip or similar module, I'd definitely like to hear your experiences.... unless I'm the first :)

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Hmm.. good to know. I wonder if they were using stock plugs or not. if you could point me to any other feedback/experience that would be a huge help. Also, if anyone here has a '19 Elantra has a race chip or similar module, I'd definitely like to hear your experiences.... unless I'm the first :)
The only feedback you will find on the Race Chip is in this thread. Everyone in my facebook group has gone Scorcher (with some issues) Lap3 ProTuner or full ECU tune.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Mines not a 19 model. But I now had my Racechip RS for just over 3 months. I have not had a single problem at all.
And even on Map 6. I can still get the same fuel economy driving to work as I did without it.. I have always run with 95 ron (your 91) fuel & I'm on stock plugs

I wonder what has changed with the 19 models??

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
I asked Race Chip about spark plugs when they installed it on my car ('17). They said stock plugs are fine, their tuning doesn't require cooler plugs. I've had mine for 8 months, no issues or complaints.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I asked Race Chip about spark plugs when they installed it on my car ('17). They said stock plugs are fine, their tuning doesn't require cooler plugs. I've had mine for 8 months, no issues or complaints.
Running this thing on the higher maps is no different from an ECU tune which usually requires colder plugs. So I don't really buy it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Running this thing on the higher maps is no different from an ECU tune which usually requires colder plugs. So I don't really buy it.
I think it is the way Racechip goes about "programming" if that is the right word.
They do all the Chips on a completely stock engine. There is a video around that they made showing how they do it.
With the car being on a dyno, as they "program" the Racechip for each car..

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I think it is the way Racechip goes about "programming" if that is the right word.
They do all the Chips on a completely stock engine. There is a video around that they made showing how they do it.
That's no different from a dyno tune, and in the end the outcome is the same-ish.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Race Chip says when they recommend spark plug changes as they did with their Kia Stinger application. I've had no issues in the last 8 months with stock plugs, have you?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Race Chip says when they recommend spark plug changes as they did with their Kia Stinger application. I've had no issues in the last 8 months with stock plugs, have you?
Iv'e had no problems at all.. Starts, runs & drives just like it did stock. But with 40hp extra :)

Though on their website it mentions that you can get up to 15% in fuel savings.. When driven normally, I get what I used to get stock.
But when you use the extra power.. It uses quite a bit more

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Iv'e had no problems at all.. Starts, runs & drives just like it did stock. But with 40hp extra :)

Though on their website it mentions that you can get up to 15% in fuel savings.. When driven normally, I get what I used to get stock.
But when you use the extra power.. It uses quite a bit more
Have you put the car on a dyno yet? I'm a bit curious if their power claims are accurate. I've seen a Veloster N on a dyno with a Race Chip & Lap3 ProTuner comparison and the Race Chip did not make what they claimed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Have you put the car on a dyno yet? I'm a bit curious if their power claims are accurate. I've seen a Veloster N on a dyno with a Race Chip & Lap3 ProTuner comparison and the Race Chip did not make what they claimed.
Have not been on a dyno. Though it would be interesting to see the results

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mines not a 19 model. But I now had my Racechip RS for just over 3 months. I have not had a single problem at all.
And even on Map 6. I can still get the same fuel economy driving to work as I did without it.. I have always run with 95 ron (your 91) fuel & I'm on stock plugs

I wonder what has changed with the 19 models??
Alright, Race chip is installed, I was able to get to the Boost pressure Sensor without removing the Airbox albeit a little tight. Of course, the day I install the Race chip it's raining, but I did drive it around to make sure Everything was alright, so far so good. [Went for the bluetooth option] I cycled through all the modes, and there is a definite stronger pull in Race mode. I'll update you guys tomorrow after the dry commute.

Cheers!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Alright, Race chip is installed, I was able to get to the Boost pressure Sensor without removing the Airbox albeit a little tight. Of course, the day I install the Race chip it's raining, but I did drive it around to make sure Everything was alright, so far so good. [Went for the bluetooth option] I cycled through all the modes, and there is a definite stronger pull in Race mode. I'll update you guys tomorrow after the dry commute.

Cheers!
In CA, I only have access to 91 octane, so to run it in modes 5 and 6, I have to add an octane booster. I’ve switched to Royal Purple’s, it bumps the octane up to 3 points but it’s pretty expensive. The Mag1 stuff I used before changed the octane from 91 to 91.1. Have fun, the car is a hoot with just a touch of extra power.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
In CA, I only have access to 91 octane, so to run it in modes 5 and 6, I have to add an octane booster. I’ve switched to Royal Purple’s, it bumps the octane up to 3 points but it’s pretty expensive. The Mag1 stuff I used before changed the octane from 91 to 91.1. Have fun, the car is a hoot with just a touch of extra power.
You can also run E30 mix. Probably cheaper and more effective than octane boosters that are IMO a gimmick. Just make sure you know the actual ethanol content. Not all E85 is created equally.

·
Registered
25 Posts
First Full day with the Race chip installed... Initial impressions ( Pretty good!)

- The Car pulls a lot harder than stock in Race mode (Which right now is set to lvl 4 in the fine tunning settings)
- There seems to be a lot less of the DCT jerk when shifting gears under hard acceleration
-The power delivery feels more gradual but last longer through the rev range.

I'll have to try out Mode 5 and 6 at some point. Probably gonna also upgrade the intake as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
First Full day with the Race chip installed... Initial impressions ( Pretty good!)

- The Car pulls a lot harder than stock in Race mode (Which right now is set to lvl 4 in the fine tunning settings)
- There seems to be a lot less of the DCT jerk when shifting gears under hard acceleration
-The power delivery feels more gradual but last longer through the rev range.

I'll have to try out Mode 5 and 6 at some point. Probably gonna also upgrade the intake as well.
I've got the Bluetooth version as well, which I think is well worth the extra $$.

I have mine set up as Eco 2, Sport 4, Race 6. And I was going to drive around in Sport most of the time & put it in Race when I want to have fun..
Well Race mode 6 is just way to much fun, so now it just stays on that all the time.. As mentioned before, driven normally the car drives well with around the same fuel economy.

As I'm in Australia, our fuel is 91, 95 & 98 Ron. Which of course is US 87, 91 & 94 Mon. And all those fuels are available at every fuel station.
I have run my car on 95 (91) from the very 1st day. I have tried 98 (94) with the Racechip. But I didn't feel any difference in either performance or fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Safety for me would be more important than performance or fuel economy. I have a 91 octane tune but I still run E30 because in high temperature situations (basically all summer here in Arizona) I was hearing knock. Better safe than sorry.

And anyone running full race mode on those things should be running the highest octane you can get and colder plugs.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I've got the Bluetooth version as well, which I think is well worth the extra $$.

Well Race mode 6 is just way to much fun, so now it just stays on that all the time.. I have tried 98 (94) with the Racechip. But I didn't feel any difference in either performance or fuel economy.
Race Chip told me there's no harm with mode 6 (I have an RS) with 91(US) octane but you'll get less power, so I stick with mode 4 if I'm going to get ~mode 4 power anyway. I'm actually on mode 0 right now while 91 octane remains above US$4/gallon.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Safety for me would be more important than performance or fuel economy. I have a 91 octane tune but I still run E30 because in high temperature situations (basically all summer here in Arizona) I was hearing knock. Better safe than sorry.

And anyone running full race mode on those things should be running the highest octane you can get and colder plugs.
What i got back from Racechip Germany is they test & tune the cars to the fuel that is available in Germany. Which is 95 (91) Even their Racechip GTS which gives you another map & an extra 8hp & 20nm over the Racechip RS is done using 95 (91) on Std plugs.
I fully understand what you are saying though. And would 100% on how you are driving the car. If doing consistent track type driving. Then running higher octane fuel would be a no brainer. The climate you live in plays a part as well.
We are just coming out of winter here & even now temps here are around the 23c (74f) I have looked at my plugs (30,000ks) and they still look good as new. That's with almost 8,000ks with the Racechip installed.

Race Chip told me there's no harm with mode 6 (I have an RS) with 91(US) octane but you'll get less power, so I stick with mode 4 if I'm going to get ~mode 4 power anyway. I'm actually on mode 0 right now while 91 octane remains above US$4/gallon.
Iv'e the Racechip RS as well.. According to Racechip mode 6 is fine with 95 (91) fuel.. The fuel price is of course a factor. But I have been running 95 (91) since I got my car in May 2018 Price here is around $1.50lt. Which works out close to $5.62/gallon. So close to the US$4/gallon you have.
Going up to the 98 (95) fuel is normally around $1.75lt. Which brings it up to US$5/gallon

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
What i got back from Racechip Germany is they test & tune the cars to the fuel that is available in Germany. Which is 95 (91) Even their Racechip GTS which gives you another map & an extra 8hp & 20nm over the Racechip RS is done using 95 (91) on Std plugs.
I fully understand what you are saying though. And would 100% on how you are driving the car. If doing consistent track type driving. Then running higher octane fuel would be a no brainer. The climate you live in plays a part as well.
We are just coming out of winter here & even now temps here are around the 23c (74f) I have looked at my plugs (30,000ks) and they still look good as new. That's with almost 8,000ks with the Racechip installed.
Piggyback or not, running that thing in race mode is no different than having a tune and all tuners recommend colder plugs. They also recommend catch cans.

141 - 160 of 180 Posts