Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so this happened for the first time since I bought the car back in October 2017. so after around 30mins of driving to work, shut off the car, the radiator fan boosted up and was on. it was around 12 degree Celsius this morning.

so what gives, its not like its summer now with 30+ degree outside where the engine overheat and needed to cool down after. if this continues on all summer long, it will probably kill the battery fast. anyone have had this problem?

btw I didn't pay attention to the temp gauge this morning, I assume it was in the middle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey there! That happens pretty much anytime your car's turbo needs to cool off after spirited driving. I heard on a Focus ST forum that if you push anywhere from 10-20lbs of boost and you drive fast for more than 10 minutes, you should idle the car to let it cool down.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there! That happens pretty much anytime your car's turbo needs to cool off after spirited driving. I heard on a Focus ST forum that if you push anywhere from 10-20lbs of boost and you drive fast for more than 10 minutes, you should idle the car to let it cool down.
understandable. but it was just my regular commute, I was in eco mode and barely anytime pass 3k rpm. the fan never came on in the afternoon when I was getting home while it was much hotter outside.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
It's normal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
understandable. but it was just my regular commute, I was in eco mode and barely anytime pass 3k rpm. the fan never came on in the afternoon when I was getting home while it was much hotter outside.
When I first bought the car last year I had the same question. It's normal. After I started monitoring using Torque app, I noticed anytime my car is above 205F radiator temperature the car will have the fan on after I shutoff the engine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I first bought the car last year I had the same question. It's normal. After I started monitoring using Torque app, I noticed anytime my car is above 205F radiator temperature the car will have the fan on after I shutoff the engine.
good to hear that, the fan didn't turn on this morning so I guess it was normal. I think lots of the stop and go slow moving traffic might have overheated the engine somehow.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
good to hear that, the fan didn't turn on this morning so I guess it was normal. I think lots of the stop and go slow moving traffic might have overheated the engine somehow.
Exactly. Mine did it recently in California and it wasn't exactly warm. But I was going at a slow speed (~25mph) up hill in low gears so that may have warmed up the engine enough to trigger the fan after shutdown. I just stood there and waited to make sure it shut off and went about my business.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My 13 TDI Jetta would do this after driving it. It’s mainly to help cool the turbo and other crap down since diesels get so hot. But I’m assuming the function is similar with these cars given the fact they are turbocharged

·
Registered
39 Posts
Same here... I just leased my 2018 ES, DCT Premium Package. Love it! Mine did that after some "spirited" driving... ;) Stayed on for a minute or 2 after I shut the engine off... JasonCao: Didn't even know the ES had an Eco Mode... Guess the Salesman neglected to mention that as he had me mostly in Sport Mode for the test drive... :)

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Same here... I just leased my 2018 ES, DCT Premium Package. Love it! Mine did that after some "spirited" driving... ;) Stayed on for a minute or 2 after I shut the engine off... JasonCao: Didn't even know the ES had an Eco Mode... Guess the Salesman neglected to mention that as he had me mostly in Sport Mode for the test drive... :)
Canadian models get an Eco Mode. US models do not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Same here... I just leased my 2018 ES, DCT Premium Package. Love it! Mine did that after some "spirited" driving... /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif Stayed on for a minute or 2 after I shut the engine off... JasonCao: Didn't even know the ES had an Eco Mode... Guess the Salesman neglected to mention that as he had me mostly in Sport Mode for the test drive... /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Canadian models get an Eco Mode. US models do not.
Ok. Not that I would have used it anyway... 😉

·
Registered
2,339 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
in the 80s and 90s you were supposed to let the car idle for a few minutes before turning it off so it could cool down. its just a safety feature to prolong the life.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts